I am writing a web page for an online radio station that uses SHOUTcast 1.9.8. I am trying to retrieve the currently playing song from the server, display it on the page, and keep it updated. I am looking for the best way to do this. I can get the current song from the SHOUTcast server's "7.html". The "7.html" looks like this "1,1,12,50,1,128,Artist - Song name". All I care about is the last thing, the artist and song name. I already know how to parse the string to get what I want in both PHP and Javascript. What I need is a way to retrieve the string from the server, so I can parse it and get it onto the webpage. I also need to keep the page updated with the currently playing song. I have done research but I haven't had much luck. What is the best way to do this? PHP? Javascript? I am fairly new to web development, I have little PHP and Javascript experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I was able to figure it out on my own. What I did was write a PHP script that reterives the data from the "7.html" and parses the down to just what I need (the current song). Then, in a javascript script, I use a ajax request to get the parsed string from the PHP script and update the page. I also used setInterval so that it updates the page every 60 seconds.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.