Hello all!

I'm making a Applicant Record Keeping System. I'm a newbie with MS access. And i'm having a really hard time understanding how queries work.

I have three forms: (Sequentially)
Background Checking
Criteria..
Document..
So, this forms are for one applicant and they have common details.
Background Checking's common details with the other two are Name of Applicant and Position Applied For.
Background Checking's common detail with the Criteria Name of Applicant, Position Applied For, Date of Application, and Conducted by.
Criteria's common details with Document are Name of Applicant, Position Applied For, and Vessel Type.
So, I want them to link with each other. So everytime i go to the next form I won't type the common detail again.

I tried making ID's for them, and designed queries. But it's wrong.

Please help me...

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

dont start form, first make clear what you want in database. post your columns you want to keep in 3 tables. if you once identify relation between the tables , your query will automatically join appropriate tables and will give you perfect result.

urtrivedi is correct - at least up to the point of automatically joining the tables.
Access lists objects in a particular order: Table, Query, Form, Report, Macro, Module.
This is the same order you've got to follow when creating a new db.
Start with the data you want to store. That is done in tables, so that's where you start. Second step is the relationships between the tables and how the data are connected - it can be queries or just the tables relationship. Next step is cutting down the data you plan to show the user in the forms. For this you'll need queries, as they will allow you to limit both columns and records. Then you move in forms - using the queries you've created. Finally create the reports and if you need to use Macros or modules to automate things.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.