Hi all hope you are well. I am not sure how long this has gone on for (only just noticed today) but the member badge on the right of the page (Under the statistics section) has gone. Does anybody know why this has gone and how long it has been gone for?

Recommended Answers

All 28 Replies

Member Avatar for thunderstorm98

Are you talking about Member Certificate ?

Yeah thats what I meant, did you notice when it disappeared?

It has been gone for a few months.

Oh right, ok thanks. I guess I have not been paying attention (busy job lol) Do you have any idea why it has gone ?

Maybe it was not receiving a lot of attention so Dani removed it to make room for advertising. For an answer that is not speculation you would have to ask her.

ok Jasimp, thanks for that information :)

it went ages ago, because no-one was using it

hey Jbennet, What about simple small DaniWeb banner ? Can i use it in my mail Signature ?

Cool, thanks a lot Cscgal.

Thanks Dani, I will try that .gif banner.

Got my nice badge back now lol....

Hey there guys ... check out your member profile for the new home for member badges.

Awesome, I like it a lot !

So does that mean you're going to start using it? :)

<offtopic> Cscgal, everytime I see your profile, I see different "solved threads" count ! Sometimes its 109, sometimes 110 and now its 108 ! :-/ how and why ? </offtopic>

Cscgal, you bet I'll be using it! That is, once I have deployed my website (whenever that may be!).:)

Cscgal, everytime I see your profile...

Everytime? Do do you want a lame remark about that ? ;)

i think because reported posts get solved

Everytime? Do do you want a lame remark about that ? ;)

ehm.. ;)

Hey there guys ... check out your member profile for the new home for member badges.

Great Work....Thanks again :)

One question Dani >
Any Member can use others certificate without her permission ?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

One question Dani >
Any Member can use others certificate without her permission ?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Seeing as I can see your HTML then I am pretty sure I could use your certificate.

It is like that by design. The only way to guarantee that no one could show anyone else's certificate is if you were to explicitely list the URLs of all web pages you want it on.

Also ... I like the way that you can link to other profiles other than your own. You may wish to put on your blog something like, "here are the best three members in the C++ forum" or something like that.

commented: Wow! +7

OK...Thanks

Right now, member badges are as simple as badge1.jpg for member 1 and badge2.jpg for member 2, etc. Even if the filenames were to be encrypted, if someone is using a badge on their site, you can simply view source and copy and paste the html code and use their badge on your own site. Therefore, the only way to truly not let anyone else use your badge is if everyone explicitely provided a list of every single individual webpage that includes the image (domain names wouldn't even work b/c that would be too broad for myspace pages, etc, where one domain has lots of users).

Plus, I kinda like the idea of letting people link to each other's member profiles. There's nothing on the certificates that is private in any way, etc.

One thing I noticed:
If you don't have an avatar you get a standard one in your member-batch. Is this on purpose?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.