Sucks.

> I just noticed that daniweb profiles are web searchable. I wasn't expecting this

Really?

Daniweb sucks,,,, and takes takes huge liberties.

How to get a bad reputation fast. It should be the unalienable right of anyone to delete their profile whenever they see fit. And vcards are well out of order.

Just post in one of the Software Development forums and I'll be very glad to give you lots of bad rep points :) While you can't delete your profile you can edit it to remove everything. Just clikck the CONTROL PANEL link you see at the top of each DaniWeb page. There you will find other links that let you edit the information in your profile.

Hi,

We do not permanently remove IDs from the database for two reasons:

1 - User IDs are associated with posts, and we have a policy of not deleting posts (unless they violate our rules)
2 - We are required (based on anti-spam regulations) to always maintain a database of everyone who we have EVER sent ANY email to (anonymous, non-personal information such as join date and time, etc) to prove that we didn't just buy the email address, but that they actually signed up with us directly at some point in time.

We don't keep any personal information on record. You are able to change your email address and password at any time. Additionally, you can contact Davey (aka happygeek) if you wish to change your username.

Unless you were rather personal in your posts (in which case, you should be more careful about what you write on the Internet), it is rather easy to make sure that your member profile with DaniWeb is anonymous.

commented: well said - beat me to it! :) +0
commented: Nice explanation +0

It should be the unalienable

bzzzzz. Inalienable :)

Ding - 'dong': Unalienable.

There is a difference between the two words for those in the know ;-)

1 - User IDs are associated with posts, and we have a policy of not deleting posts (unless they violate our rules)

Nice try. There are perfectly standard ways of not deleting posts whilst deleting all reference to the author of said posts. Which means a win-win situation, as you get to maintain the data, and the user gets to maintain their privacy 'rights'. This would presume, however, that you guys were at all bothered about privacy matters! ;-)

2 - We are required (based on anti-spam regulations) to always maintain a database of everyone who we have EVER sent ANY email to (anonymous, non-personal information such as join date and time, etc) to prove that we didn't just buy the email address, but that they actually signed up with us directly at some point in time.

Once again, there is a world of difference between 'maintaining' a database and 'publishing' it. Duh! ;-)

We don't keep any personal information on record.

You just said you did! You'd make a great politician, albeit in a Monty Python sense. It is obvious, even to an amoeba, that a simple 'join date' and 'time stamp' without a name to associate them to would be less than useless. It is the user name that people want disassociated with their enforced accounts. It belongs to them, not you. The truth here is that you want it to appear that your subscriber list is much bigger than it actually taking away the user's internationally accepted right to 'delete' their account. In short, no-one swallows that excuse.

Unless you were rather personal in your posts (in which case, you should be more careful about what you write on the Internet), it is rather easy to make sure that your member profile with DaniWeb is anonymous.

And pray, how would that be if people cannot change their user name? Methinks the lady doth protest too much. ;-)

Ding - 'dong': Unalienable.

There is a difference between the two words for those in the know ;-)

Not arguing with a Troll.

commented: quite right +0

It is the user name that people want disassociated with their enforced accounts.

No-one is forced to sign, but when they do, they agree to the terms and conditions in the AUP.

Ah.. So now you're telling the truth instead of the last collection of lies you gave, That's a slight improvement at least. ;-)

commented: troll +0
commented: troll - is this the five pound argument? +0
Member Avatar for diafol

Currently Andy Sears has posted 8 posts, 7 of which are on the forum bemoaning the fact that he can't delete his account. What was so embarrassing in that first post that warranted this response? Some stuff on MSN - pretty innocuous really.

He moans about profile info being available. Who here doesn't look after their info online? Provide info on what you're comfortable with. Publish and be damned, read the T&C's.

I think it would be quite simple to change all profile settings to gibberish. Calling a whole forum / network of users silly names based on this one facet is frankly childish.

Perhaps Dani in this case, it would be appropriate to delete him as he hasn't made any contribution to the site - nothing that people would miss anyway. Or will you be gnarly and hold him in quarantine? ;)

OK, here's the deal. You chose to come to Daniweb, become its member after agreeing with the rules etc. As it has already being mentioned, you can get your user-name changed if you don't want to associate the name "Andy Sears" with Daniweb.

Given all these things, I really don't see what your problem is...

EDIT:

taking away the user's internationally accepted right to 'delete' their account

[citation need]

DaniWeb is a US-based LLC, complying with US law. There is no requirement under US to delete an account, or remove the kind of membership information stored by DaniWeb, upon request.

As has been stated repeatedly, although apparently ignored so far by Andy, your username can be changed if you so wish. All you have to do is ask me...

As it has already being mentioned, you can get your user-name changed if you don't want to associate the name "Andy Sears" with Daniweb.

...it has already 'been mentioned' (present perfect). OK, I'm game, let's see if it's true. I hereby publicly request my user name to be changed to 'NoChoice'. I await with baited breath the next excuse.

Given all these things, I really don't see what your problem is...

I would have thought that it were perfectly clear - especially to a Super Moderator! (Perhaps I need to address the 'Super Duper Moderator'?) :-P

citation need

Read the rules, they're freely available! ;-)

OK, I'm game, let's see if it's true. I hereby publicly request my user name to be changed to 'NoChoice'. I await with baited breath the next excuse.

Done.

All you had to do was ask...

What was so embarrassing in that first post that warranted this response? Some stuff on MSN - pretty innocuous really.

Get with the plot - it's not about anything I may or may not have posted, but about not wanting to be here at all. Sorry if that's too difficult for you to understand.

Calling a whole forum / network of users silly names based on this one facet is frankly childish.

Your comment is almost too churlish t warrant a response. I presume you're the one that arrives in class with an apple for the teacher? My comments were specific to the people I responded to. Once again, get with the plot... tsch tsch

Perhaps Dani in this case, it would be appropriate to delete him as he hasn't made any contribution to the site - nothing that people would miss anyway

Precisely my point. You may come out from the corner of the room, return to your desk, and take the cone-hat off.

it's not about anything I may or may not have posted, but about not wanting to be here at all.

Then leave and don't come back. I fail to see what's so difficult about this. If you're worried about identifying information, you wouldn't have it anywhere on your account in the first place.

Here's reality: there's no law, or rule, or even convention that states users must be able to delete their own accounts on a forum. In fact, common practice is exactly the opposite. If you don't agree with the choices made by the administrators, simply don't use the forum. You have the freedom to choose. Choose to use the forum and abide by the rules and decisions of the owners, or choose to piss off.

Of course, I would be shocked if any of this reasoning gets through to you because you strike me as a typical troll who joins with the sole purpose of stirring up trouble. Prove me wrong.

Who rattled you cage anyway? If you had READ the thread, your neurone may have understood.

Then leave and don't come back. I fail to see what's so difficult about this. If you're worried about identifying information, you wouldn't have it anywhere on your account in the first place.

If i had known that I couldn't later delete it, I (and many others) wouldn't have signed up in the first place (out of curiosity).

Your inability to hold a point of view (if such it can be called) without invoking swear words (be they in asterisk form or not) shows your low level of intelligence and lack of communication skills. I choose do so as I wish, not what some insignificant minion tells me I should do. If the administrators don't like it, then delete my account! What you like or not is of absolutely zero importance. The solution is simple, instead of boring me with your opinion, simply get them to delete the account. Yawn....

commented: Yes, definitely a troll. +0
commented: YOU rattled out cage. HappyGeek, please change the username again -- to BOZO +0

> DaniWeb is a US-based LLC, complying with US law. There is no requirement under US to delete an account, or remove the kind of membership information stored by DaniWeb, upon request.
There is certainly no requirement under the law of ANY country to delete a member's account, for that matter.

> If i had known that I couldn't later delete it, I (and many others) wouldn't have signed up in the first place (out of curiosity).
Now that you do know, why are you still sticking around and posting?

Now that you do know, why are you still sticking around and posting?

Because you haven't deleted the account? Duh...!

As for the law, I shall look into that.

commented: still trolling +0
Member Avatar for diafol

> Daniweb sucks....

Am I churlish to point out that this is childish? Maybe. How did you know that I'm a teacher with a cone on my head and an apple up my rectum?? Must be psychic.

On second thoughts Dani, please don't delete this kid's account. She's actually becoming quite entertaining. She wanted attention, now she's got it.

You my kind of gal, NoChoice. Luv ya! Keep posting.

commented: arf! +0

A little, yes. But I understand that the truth often offends.

An apple up your rectum? Hmm... I had only envisaged an apple in your hand, but if you insist.

Although, this is probably not the place for discussing your sexual perversions.. 'darling'.

Very disturbing to imagine I may be the apple of you eye, too.... ;-)

Now that you have renamed yourself from Steve to NoChoice, I fail to see the problem you continue to pursue. It should now be a non-issue.

I have no problem anymore.... Just splitting my sides that you guys can't leave the issue alone (and having massive fun answering these inane comments). You're the only ones keeping the thread going.

Nothing more interesting on Daniweb? ;-)

Even I know that's not true.

I'm afraid I'll have to leave you for tonight. I have some important things to do.

commented: I'm sure you're quite impressed with yourself. I know the rest of the internet is. +0

...it has already 'been mentioned' (present perfect). OK, I'm game, let's see if it's true. I hereby publicly request my user name to be changed to 'NoChoice'. I await with baited breath the next excuse.

I would have thought that it were perfectly clear - especially to a Super Moderator! (Perhaps I need to address the 'Super Duper Moderator'?) :-P

EDIT:

Read the rules, they're freely available! ;-)

Difficult to take you seriously and discuss things with you when instead of having a sane conversation you drop down to jabs/sarcasm. Anyways, given that your name has been changed, keeping this thread open any longer would just result in more hurt.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.