Hi everybody, as you can probably tell my name is steve and im new to this forum. I've recently begun trying my hand at linux but have found this is going to be a lot more work then originally expected. I have been an avid windows user (and hater) and have become only able to use a GUI. My personal training has now begun in the CLI of linux and i would appreciate any help with that or anything else you think a beginner should know about linux.

This thread has been started with the hope that some people could post tips and important commands i should know for linux.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

>found this is going to be a lot more work then originally expected
What did you expect? I hear this a lot. "It wasn't what I expected!" I get the feeling that people have some pretty messed up expectations when it comes to learning something new.

>and have become only able to use a GUI
Why don't you start with a GUI in Linux then? There's less culture shock that way.

Yes, Steven as Narue said try using a UI distro like Ubuntu. Simultaneous post there Narue :-)

Why, thank you very much, thats greatly appreciated.

Steve

I find the Linux o/s has a steep learning curve, I mean I have spent a year using it and I am the first to admit I am no pro, it is worth the investment though. Its like anything in life - you get out what you put in!

What did you expect? I hear this a lot. "It wasn't what I expected!" I get the feeling that people have some pretty messed up expectations when it comes to learning something new.

Why don't you start with a GUI in Linux then? There's less culture shock that way.

I already know how to use GUI. If I want to learn linux, Would it not be most benificaial to learn what makes it different from windows? And by the way, since you are never faced with something uinexpected when learing something new, please forgive for not being perfect. I've got a feeling you think that YOU are.

The point of the first part of her post was to say that learning something new does take work and effort. I'm pretty sure she does not think she is perfect.

>I already know how to use GUI.
You know how to use the Windows GUI. Just because it's point and click doesn't mean you can transfer that knowledge to any old OS. Hell, people who were experts with Windows XP have tended to get caught short when moving to Vista, and they're both Windows operating systems.

>If I want to learn linux, Would it not be most benificaial
>to learn what makes it different from windows?
There's that wacky expectations thing again. For some strange reason you think that just because you're using a graphical interface, it's "just like Windows" or that you have to use the command line to understand the system. :icon_rolleyes:

>And by the way, since you are never faced with something
>uinexpected when learing something new, please forgive for
>not being perfect. I've got a feeling you think that YOU are.
With that kind of attitude, nobody will want to help you. Stop being a whiney ass and be grateful that someone more experienced is offering advice. Rest assured, I won't waste my time with you in the future. I don't take kindly to being slapped in the face after trying to help.

Hi there Steve, I don't think Narue was trying to be hostile, so keep it nice !

Let me start reply by thanking anyone takes the time to respond to anyones question with a HELPFUL response. To help somebody, in my mind, does not require beginning with rudeness. If anyone wants to help me in that way then please dont help. I consider help being a kind suggestion, answer or even politing pointing out of an error in the question itself. but ignorance is never bliss.

I enjoy learning. I enjoy a challenge. Sometimes the challenge is greater then expected. however, this just increases the enjoyment of it.

It sounds to me like there is only one whinney ass in this room :)

commented: You have been the only rude person in this entire thread -1

lol yeah I have told that Majestic0110 to stop whining too many times to count!

>To help somebody, in my mind, does not require beginning with rudeness.
Let's see:

I challenge you to find someone who thinks this is rude, or an attack, or anything that deserves the reply you gave:

And by the way, since you are never faced with something uinexpected when learing something new, please forgive for not being perfect. I've got a feeling you think that YOU are.

>I consider help being a kind suggestion, answer or
>even politing pointing out of an error in the question itself.
Yet you didn't hesitate to attack me personally while disregarding my kind suggestion:

I highly recommend you adjust your attitude. That's a "kind suggestion" from one of your peers.

I would like to thank anyone who reponds to anyone elses questions with helpful answers. To help sombody, in my opinion, does require starting with rudely picking apart the question. I think answering a question is just that, answer, maybe even pointing out politly an error with question itself, but really who cares about you opinion on peoples expectations.

I enjoy learning, I enjoy a challenge. Sometimes the challenge is more then expected. That just makes it more enloyable.

Ignorance is never bliss.

Thanks to ALL

Even you narue

sorry though the first one didnt get through.

I think enough of the squabbling from everybody. Thread closed.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.