We don't really need to define power.And we humans fear only the things which aren't understood,so may be the undefined power defines itself in this way itself to maintain a balance in nature.We don't even need to give it a name. So if given a thought "This undefined power itself is defining the universe in this very undefined way". So what ever we may call this power Science,Inter Atomic Force,XYZ,.............,God or anything else,its it's feel that we need to experience...

In history, many of the great scientists changed their public hypotheses when challenged by the old Roman Catholic church. Certainly, a man would not want to die or be tortured just to prove that he/she is right.

On the other hand, many Christians would rather die, or worse, than to do the same.

What could possibly cause someone to do this, I would say much more than just a "fill-in-the-gaps" religion. Something has touched that person's heart, something obviously beyond my understanding and possibly yours as well.

In history, science has never resorted to arrest, torture, or execution of opponents whenever their hypotheses were challenged. Certainly, any reasonable man would not want to kill or torture someone just to prove that they were "right".

On the other hand, many Christians throughout history have arrested, tortured and killed other people to prevent them from presenting evidence that conflicts with their belief structure. Even today fundamentalist Christians in America would subvert the rule of law and civil liberties to squelch dissenting views.

What could possibly cause someone to do such terrible things to other humans, I would say much more than just a "fill-in-the-gaps" religion. Something has corrupted that person's heart, something obviously beyond my understanding and possibly yours as well.

commented: Damn straight. Religion is basically a mental illness that needs to be cured. +34

Until a scientist proves that life can be derived from sterile [insert element(s) here], a higher power is the only explanation. Of course after the jump start of life, evolution would have had to take over.

I don't think that Adam had the time to name over 1.5 million different species. Evolution is just another one of the Lord's great creations.

Well, that has already happened so we can leave out the higher power now. Experiments in the lab have produced amino acids from basic chemicals; amino acids are the basis for proteins and proteins are the basis for life - what more do you want?

We are not arguing for or against whether or not your, uh, 'god' created evolution; we are arguing Creationism vs Evolution.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.