Download Day is here!
Set a Guinness World Record
Enjoy a Better Web

Sounds like a good deal, right? All you have to do to help us set the record for the most software downloaded in 24 hours is get Firefox 3 now – it’s that easy. We're not asking you to swallow a sword or to balance 30 spoons on your face, although that would be kind of awesome.

Please download Firefox 3 by 11:16 a.m. PDT (18:16 UTC) on June 18, 2008. That's 11:16 a.m. in Mountain View, 2:16 p.m. in Toronto, 3:16 p.m. in Rio de Janeiro, 8:16 p.m. in Paris, Madrid, Berlin, Rome and Warsaw, 10:16 p.m. in Moscow, and June 19, 2008 at 2:16 a.m. in Beijing and 3:16 a.m. in Tokyo.

http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord/

Last I checked, they were averaging around 10,000 downloads per minute...
Download Counter: http://downloadcounter.sj.mozilla.com/

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

I was just gonna post a note like this. It's moving along quite nicely - more than 1.8M additional downloads since I got it this evening.

Interesting to see how many, or how few, downloads from various countries - be sure to mouse over the map on the worldrecord page.

I downloaded it yesterday.

So is it a bon-e-fide Guinness World Record?

So is it a bon-e-fide Guinness World Record?

Considering there was no record in the category before, any documented submission becomes the record.

It's a matter of whether the Guinness people will accept it (probably will). Their threshold is much lower these days than it used to be.

Well I will def keep my eye out for it.

bleh. Just put up a botnet of machines you bought from some script kiddie and set them to repeatedly download it.
Voila, millions of downloads.

Remember: download counts don't say a thing about actual users, and even less about actual persistent users.
I tried pretty much every version of FF, and quickly abandoned all of them.
Yet they probably count me for 5 or 6 downloads at least.

Valid point. How would Guinness determine/validate the claim?

I dunno but thats what the site says that they are doing at the moment. They got about 13 million downloads and that must have to count for something at least!

what about the script kiddie botnet machines theory?

I don't think the "record" will stand up very long...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.