This is the question that I'm curious about. How to determine if you have lived long and prospered. Does anybody have any ideas?

Recommended Answers

All 26 Replies

Lived long: you are over age 45

Prospered: You are happy and satisfied with your life. You have good health and a family who loves you.

Lived long = not dead yet
Prospered = not homeless and hungry

Lived long and prospered = watched too much Star Trek

Prospered: You are happy and satisfied with your life.

With that definition I will never prosper. I'm never happy with my life. :(

I just worked out long is defined as 2147483647 which in a timestamp is 68 years since 1970. So does this mean I have to live for 68 years and succeed in doing so?

>> With that definition I will never prosper. I'm never happy with my life

Time to start changing things!

...or if you're still in puberty: don't worry, you'll get over it and in a few years all your current problems will look silly and immature :icon_smile:

>> Time to start changing things!

Some approaches of doing that...
1. Adjust your actual standard of life upwards to actualize your desired standard of life. (this may involve actual hard work or may not be possible depending on the dream).
2. Adjust your standard downward (i.e. stoicism, sort of. Think of the most wretched existence imaginable and make yourself "OK" with that. Anything above that is gravy).
3. Optimisim. Requires no work and no adjustment. Just an unshakable belief that things WILL get better.
4. Self-delusion. Want to be LeBron James? But you're not and never will be? Just convince yourself that you are him.
5. Drugs / Alcohol. Depending on the drug, makes #4 easier. Dulls the pain if 1 through 4 won't work.
6. The Afterlife. Your life here is irretrievably screwed up, but a few more years and you'll be dead and live forever in ecstasy. I'll leave it to others to decide whether #6 is simply numbers 2, 3, and 4 rolled into one.

>> ...or if you're still in puberty: don't worry, you'll get over it and in a few years all your current problems will look silly and immature :icon_smile:

With much bigger, REAL problems to replace them.

When you have many things to remember with smile at your face.

When I have lived to age 147 and still have money left, I will have lived long and prospered.

>> Time to start changing things!

Some approaches of doing that...
1. Adjust your actual standard of life upwards to actualize your desired standard of life. (this may involve actual hard work or may not be possible depending on the dream).
2. Adjust your standard downward (i.e. stoicism, sort of. Think of the most wretched existence imaginable and make yourself "OK" with that. Anything above that is gravy).
3. Optimisim. Requires no work and no adjustment. Just an unshakable belief that things WILL get better.
4. Self-delusion. Want to be LeBron James? But you're not and never will be? Just convince yourself that you are him.
5. Drugs / Alcohol. Depending on the drug, makes #4 easier. Dulls the pain if 1 through 4 won't work.
6. The Afterlife. Your life here is irretrievably screwed up, but a few more years and you'll be dead and live forever in ecstasy. I'll leave it to others to decide whether #6 is simply numbers 2, 3, and 4 rolled into one.

>> ...or if you're still in puberty: don't worry, you'll get over it and in a few years all your current problems will look silly and immature :icon_smile:

With much bigger, REAL problems to replace them.

I guess I bottle of bear after every line of code I program might make me happier because I think being drunk makes you happy and believe in almost anything. Better buy 500 bottles of bear for this next small script I'm going to do :). I wonder what I will be like by the end of the 500 lines of code.

By the time your done with all that beer you will have to destroy all those lines of shitty code you wrote. That would not make me very happy.

commented: You just wrote down my thoughts! +0

If you can maintain rules and regulations of life properly, you will be succeed and live long.

It's all relative. If you happen to live in Angola, living beyond age 48 and making more than $600 / year in income would potentially qualify.

I guess I bottle of bear after every line of code I program might make me happier because I think being drunk makes you happy and believe in almost anything. Better buy 500 bottles of bear for this next small script I'm going to do :). I wonder what I will be like by the end of the 500 lines of code.

So who bottles bears? Sounds pretty disgusting; is this a sample of how well you code on bottles of bear?

commented: Good one. +0

So does this mean I have to live for 68 years and succeed in doing so?

That number is dangerously close to the number 69 ;)

...or if you're still in puberty: don't worry, you'll get over it and in a few years all your current problems will look silly and immature

I am 14, and I was always happy with my life. I was born in a poor family, my dad was a drunk without permanent job, and my mom was the one to provide for the family, and I did not even dream about having a computer. But now I live in US in a nice house, got enough food, quad-core computer, kindle, phone and other expensive stuff, but I do not think I am more happy then I used to be. I think "happiness" is not the overall quality of life, but great single moments you have. Really rich people are probably not much happier, then really poor people. We quickly get used to things, and they quickly become normal and standard. I think if one ever achieved all goals in life, one will quickly become bored, lose interest in life, and commit suicide. So it is a bit useful not to be happy :D

>> Really rich people are probably not much happier, then really poor people.

What on God's green Earth are you talking about?

>> I think if one ever achieved all goals in life, one will quickly become bored, lose interest in life, and commit suicide.

So think up some NEW goals. Jeez.

>> So it is a bit useful not to be happy

Happy people don't become bored, lose interest in life, and commit suicide.

With that definition I will never prosper. I'm never happy with my life.

Maybe you're just some dude that believes in so much success and you've made it a philosophy never to accept or be comfortable with anything because you believe there's still more to achieve. Please be easy on yourself, be happy with whatever you achieve but still strife to do more.

I think being drunk makes you happy and believe in almost anything.

Being drunk does not make you happy, it only takes you away from your normal sense temporarily and weighs down your dignity and prestige on the streets. What makes you think that what you could not achieve when you are normal could be achieved when you're half mad........only more madness and destruction can you achieve in that state and believe me, when you regain your senses and see the havoc done by you, you would be more depressed. Please be easy on yourself

Best of Luck!

I don't understand how Davey is the only person who responded to this question referencing Star Trek.

commented: Dammit, Jim! I'm a doctor, not a TV historian! +0

Maybe because he is the only one who understands what it means for a star to trek (star trek)

I don't understand how Davey is the only person who responded to this question referencing Star Trek.

I know, it doesn't sound very logical, captain.

I know, it doesn't sound very logical, captain.

Indeed number one.

The clue is in my username :)

>>The clue is in my username
Because he's a geek.

I would say because of the word "happy" there for has prospered and probably lived long too judging by his photo.

when your dead you'll know. tell us about it

I would say because of the word "happy" there for has prospered and probably lived long too judging by his photo.

He's happy because he just won some more awards :)

When you begin to need those you knew when you were young, then you've lived long and prospered.

please don't criticize yet without asking why.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.