Hi,

I was wondering if you guys have any idea for building the best PC with some new gaming features within the amount of $1000.
What kind of expansion card could there be?

Recommended Answers

All 39 Replies

Think twice that money for a top system (3-4 times for the best of the best).

Hi,

I was wondering if you guys have any idea for building the best PC with some new gaming features within the amount of $1000.
What kind of expansion card could there be?

Here's a very nice can capable budget PC ofr around $1000.00

A8N SLI or A8N_E

7600GT (eVGA for the warranty)

Antec LanBoy case

Audigy 2 ZS

160 Gig Seagate 7200.9 HDD (SATA)

BenQ DVDRW

Antec 550 power supply (24 pin)

Samsung 19" LCD with 6MS RT @ 1280x1024

pretty useless without a CPU and RAM :)
The screen will cost almost half the $1000 budget already, CPU and RAM together will fill the rest.
That videocard will set you back about $250, the drive about $75, the case $150 or so.
Don't know the prices of those mobos and soundcard, but you'd end up paying at least about $1500 total, probably closer to $1700, for that config.

pretty useless without a CPU and RAM :)
The screen will cost almost half the $1000 budget already, CPU and RAM together will fill the rest.
That videocard will set you back about $250, the drive about $75, the case $150 or so.
Don't know the prices of those mobos and soundcard, but you'd end up paying at least about $1500 total, probably closer to $1700, for that config.

You 're light years off on your pricing ($1500.00 to 1700.00? :eek: ). Not even remotely close.

Just for starters nearly any 7600GT can be had for under $200.00 easily (are you getting a 7600GT confused with a 7900GT's pricing?). For example, the very first 7600GT on a search at newegg is a mere $169.99 US$ retail, and with the $30.00 rebate it's $139.99. Those parts i linked is with the assumption that a budget CPU would be used - like a 3500 Venice which is easily overclocked to FX 57 speeds on that motherboard.

Here's the exact part list at newegg.

PNY 7600GT PCIe $139.99 AR (169.99 before)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814133150

1GB of Kingston PC32000 2x512 $94.00 (we'll call it $100.00)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820144114

SAMSUNG 913V-Black 19" LCD Monitor $268.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824001192

Antec SuperLanboy $80.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16811129145

Asus A8N-E $88.99 (we'll call it $90.00)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813131530

Antec TruePower 550 $79.99 After $10.00 rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103931

Seagate 160GB HDD $63.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148105

BenQ DVD-R-RW $33.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827101010

3500+ venice AMD $113.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827101010

Samsucg Floppy $8.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16821103203

Audigy 2ZS soundcard OEM $75.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829102178

XP Home (OEM) $90.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102059

----------------------------------------------------

From bottom to top_
$90.00
$8.00
$113.00
$33.00
$63.00
$80.00
$90.00
$75.00
$80.00
$268.00
$94.00
$140.00
----------------------
$1134.00

Add $50.00 for shipping = about 1174.00. Take out a few rebates i didn't mention and it's around 1150.00 - change the brand of LCD to Acer then it's a cool $1100.00 for the complete system. If you really wanted to go budget here you could forgo the Audigy 2 ZS and it's suddenly around $1000.00 for the entire system shipped? Not quite $1700.00

I think the config you posted is pretty great, but I think it overlooks the fact that you could scrimp on the monitor, and get a faster CPU.

I'm no big fan of overclocking-- I picked up a used 19" Dell Trinitron for $70 shipped on eBay. The display is PERFECT-- no problems with it whatsoever. So, I could save $169 on the monitor, and either beef up the CPU (no longer need to OC), Graphics, or add more RAM. Or, that would take me just under the $1000 threshold for your price :D

No, I didn't get the prices wrong...
That same hardware would cost upwards of €1500 here, which when converted to dollars comes nearly at $2000.

No, I didn't get the prices wrong...
That same hardware would cost upwards of €1500 here, which when converted to dollars comes nearly at $2000.

Looking at the prices posted by vicec64, I don't see any discrepancy. Where are you getting your prices from? vicec64 was using Newegg.

He gets his local prices, I get my local prices. Of course mine include our skyhigh VAT, which US online retailers don't charge (as under US law interstate mailorder sales aren't taxed and salestax in most US locales is far lower than our VAT anyway).

He gets his local prices, I get my local prices. Of course mine include our skyhigh VAT, which US online retailers don't charge (as under US law interstate mailorder sales aren't taxed and salestax in most US locales is far lower than our VAT anyway).

Sorry there i didn't realize you were where you are and you're right it is much tougher to get a deal where you're at but in the US a very good sub- $1200.00 USD rig is easily attained if you're willing to build it. In fact i would leave out the Audigy card and upgrade to a 20" wide screen monitor, or a 7900GT vs 7600GT - lots of combinations are there. UK i know is much tougher to get decent prices.

I've never heard of an excellent $1000 gaming machine. My monitor and CPU were both about $550 a piece.

I just listed a 'good' gaming PC above for no much more than $1000.00'?. What you have to sacrafice if that you would probably need to build it yourself, and get no more than a 19" display. You have to know where to shop (in the US anyway) to get these prices. Sometimes you have to sacrafice things like no seperate sound card. One large HDD and n raid to start with, possibly a lesser processor to start with. Maybe 1 gig of ram instead of 2 to start with. In effect what would cost you $1100.00 to build in my list would cost you $1500-1700 at Alienware or some other botique builder. You simply need to be able to build it yourself.

For instance. If you live in the US you can get Fry's Electronics motherboard CPU bundle deals regularly. You can get a 3500+ Venice bundled with an ECS 939A PCIe mainboard for $135.00-$155.00. In the hands of someone that knows what they're doing that's an instant 2.6 Ghz easily (FX55 speeds and beyond) and although ECS boards are typically not know for super reliability - those of us that actually have built in mass production know this to be a myth (leaky caps in the past aside). What it's about are less options on the motherboard and not quite as many options in the bios, that no one besides and absolute expert will use anyway (like 4-6 SATA ports or a more advanced realtek codec for onboard sound or 5 seperate paged for timings and overclocking settings like a DFI motherboard). You could always swith out the motherboard later to an Asus, or MSI etc...if need be.

What you are seeing with rigs above $1000.00 are rigs that have more than a current mid range video card (more than a 7600GT or X1800GTO), more than 1-2 HDD's, a seperate sound card (usually), and then you pay about $400-500 or more extra to have someone build it and warrant it. That's the difference.

If you already have a monitor you can use - i can put together 10 or more different configs for 'good' gaming system that are under way under $1000.00 as long as you don't need to add a monitor. They may not have SLI or crossfire, and no more than an X1600XT or 7600GT but it will play any game out there. Maybe not at 1600x1200 with max AA-AF but it will play them at 1280x1024 or 1280x960 maxed (for most games).

So_

've never heard of an excellent $1000 gaming machine. My monitor and CPU were both about $550 a piece.

I just listed a good CPU and monitor above your post for $390.00. If i were to take advantage of the Dell discount coupons, and rebates i would have a 21" WS LCD for $250.00, then i would get a CPU/mainboard bundle deal at Fry's for $135.00 (3500+/939a). Still way under $500.00.

I just listed a good CPU and monitor

I've heard of a good $1000 PC, but not an EXCELLENT $1000 PC.

I've heard of a good $1000 PC, but not an EXCELLENT $1000 PC.

Give me your technical definition of an excellent $1000.00 PC.

Give me your technical definition of an excellent $1000.00 PC.

There's no such thing. You can't build an excellent gaming pc for $1000.
I've been saying that for the past two or three posts so I don't know if you're just ignorant or having trouble understanding simple concepts.

Really?. In actually own and operate a very high end repair/build shop. High volume too.

The term excellent is very subjective for gaming PC's. I could use "Extremely High End" and a myriad of other terms to describe what you really mean. When i think "excellent" to me it means excellent PART selection AND a good balance of CPU/GPU combination. I'm assuming your not to much of a moron to understand that not everyone uses a 24" wide screen monitor that requires at least 2 7900GT/GTX to drive the newest games at respectable framrates for widescreen resolutions.

In effect excellent can be a system with an A64/3500 with a 7600GT as long as the person is using a monitor that will scale (CRT) or a 19-20" LCD with 1280x1024. If you're thinking that for a gaming machine to be called "excellent" that it needs an A64 4000+/4400X2/2HDD's/X1900XTX or 7800GTX2 - well your wrong. It doesn't - again, that would be called a "high end" system, and possibly excellent depening on the quality of parts chosen and how well it's put together.

If a monitor itsn't needed i can put together a PC that is close to high end for around $1000.00 (4000+-7900GT-X1800XT-X1900XT (not XTX) and excellent too. Quite Easily.

commented: Shows how very little you know. -- SC -1

I've been saying that for the past two or three posts so I don't know if you're just ignorant or having trouble understanding simple concepts.

Cut the insults, keep the argument technical/using facts, and refrain from mudslinging.

Really?. In actually own and operate a very high end repair/build shop. High volume too.

The term excellent is very subjective for gaming PC's. I could use "Extremely High End" and a myriad of other terms to describe what you really mean. When i think "excellent" to me it means excellent PART selection AND a good balance of CPU/GPU combination. I'm assuming your not to much of a moron to understand that not everyone uses a 24" wide screen monitor that requires at least 2 7900GT/GTX to drive the newest games at respectable framrates for widescreen resolutions.

In effect excellent can be a system with an A64/3500 with a 7600GT as long as the person is using a monitor that will scale (CRT) or a 19-20" LCD with 1280x1024. If you're thinking that for a gaming machine to be called "excellent" that it needs an A64 4000+/4400X2/2HDD's/X1900XTX or 7800GTX2 - well your wrong. It doesn't - again, that would be called a "high end" system, and possibly excellent depening on the quality of parts chosen and how well it's put together.

If a monitor itsn't needed i can put together a PC that is close to high end for around $1000.00 (4000+-7900GT-X1800XT-X1900XT (not XTX) and excellent too. Quite Easily.

Here's a definition for you:

Excellent: Of the highest or finest quality; exceptionally good of its kind.

So if 'high end' means something even higher, then how is it possible to get higher than the highest quality?

Cut the insults, keep the argument technical/using facts, and refrain from mudslinging.

Well, I'm getting sick of arguing about something very simple and he's already starting to go through threads I've created a long time ago and trying to disprove me in those.... very annoying.

Well, I'm getting sick of arguing about something very simple and he's already starting to go through threads I've created a long time ago and trying to disprove me in those.... very annoying.

Disprove? No. But when you thread crap with yourself having very little actual hardware knowledge i'll be sure to make sure you see the light.

Don't worry. This will be my last post here at Daniweb. I have a few other forums where hardware is a mainstay that i post in (and actually do some of the reviews), and consequently you wouldn't last a day with your attitude coupled with your lack of knowledge. Being this is indeed my last post feel free to thread crap further it's about the only way your going to make your thread crapped argument look good (to yourself). By the way - this Friday i deliver with a system with a Biostar T-force S939/3700+/200 gig WD/7900GT that will be under $1000.00. Bet you would like to game with it? Especially since it comes with a 2 year total system comprehensive warranty by me. Bet you would consider it excellent for gaming. Migh not be high-end but it's high-middle, but excellent nontheless. Maybe when the customer shows that She's happy when She can actually play Oblivion well that her PC isn't excellent for gaming?

/feel free to thread crap @ will ;)

Disprove? No. But when you thread crap with yourself having very little actual hardware knowledge i'll be sure to make sure you see the light.

You still haven't disproved what I said.... First of all, the definition... Did you read the definition of excellent? I assume not. All I said was that you CAN'T build an EXCELLENT gaming PC for $1000 and I'm sure more people will agree with me than you. You can say I have a lack of knowldge, but what exactly gives you that idea? I think it's just you've just been disproved and out argued and don't want to admit it so you sit here and sling mud.

Don't worry. This will be my last post here at Daniweb.

[extreme sarcasm] ohhhh darrrrnnnn.... don't go. [/extreme sarcasm]

I have a few other forums where hardware is a mainstay that i post in (and actually do some of the reviews), and consequently you wouldn't last a day with your attitude coupled with your lack of knowledge.

Yeah, since this thread really showed a WHOLE LOT OF KNOWLEDGE... Once again, it shows ignorance on your part.

Being this is indeed my last post feel free to thread crap further it's about the only way your going to make your thread crapped argument look good (to yourself).

Don't worry. I'm not doing it for me, I'm doing it for you. I still don't understand how my single comment "You can't build and Excellent gaming PC for $1000" caused you to take such a baby fit.... in which you never could answer any of my questions. Go ahead, stick with the other forum and share your ignorance with them.. I could care less.

By the way - this Friday i deliver with a system with a Biostar T-force S939/3700+/200 gig WD/7900GT that will be under $1000.00. Bet you would like to game with it?

:lol: Nah... Only if it has the latest asus 64 bit delux mobo with SLI and dual video cards and my kick but 21'' monitor (not to mention superior case cooling).

Especially since it comes with a 2 year total system comprehensive warranty by me.

Is that all?

Bet you would consider it excellent for gaming. Migh not be high-end but it's high-middle, but excellent nontheless.

You still don't know the definition of excellent?

Maybe when the customer shows that She's happy when She can actually play Oblivion well that her PC isn't excellent for gaming?

Ummm... Dude... My brother plays that game on his 4 year old desktop.

/feel free to thread crap @ will ;)

That's okay, I don't play your game.

PWNED

You still haven't disproved what I said.... First of all, the definition... Did you read the definition of excellent? I assume not. All I said was that you CAN'T build an EXCELLENT gaming PC for $1000 and I'm sure more people will agree with me than you. You can say I have a lack of knowldge, but what exactly gives you that idea? I think it's just you've just been disproved and out argued and don't want to admit it so you sit here and sling mud.

As defined:
Excellent-

ex·cel·lent (ĕk'sə-lənt) pronunciation
adj.

1. Of the highest or finest quality; exceptionally good of its kind.

Notice the word qauility in there?

Yeah, since this thread really showed a WHOLE LOT OF KNOWLEDGE... Once again, it shows ignorance on your part.

^ Do you mean "shows? (not "showed")? And ...how so. You have a 'kiddie' definition of excellent i would presume. I would also bet you're not much older than one.

Don't worry. I'm not doing it for me, I'm doing it for you. I still don't understand how my single comment "You can't build and Excellent gaming PC for $1000" caused you to take such a baby fit.... in which you never could answer any of my questions. Go ahead, stick with the other forum and share your ignorance with them.. I could care less.

YOU never ASKED any questions sport. You made the claim that a $1000.00 gaming PC that could be called excellent is un-doable. You never made your case to the contrary after making that statement. I laid mine out clearly for you to see. You're the one that didn't respond with a single link, a single build config. Moreover, your insidiousness about it was humorous. All you said was it can't be done. You said nothing past that. That speaks volumes, and now your bordering on meglomania.

:lol: Nah... Only if it has the latest asus 64 bit delux mobo with SLI and dual video cards and my kick but 21'' monitor (not to mention superior case cooling).

Is you case cooling really superior? I do offer Peltier Cooling, Danger Den, and Thermaltake Big water. My personal system is a DFI expert with a vencie 3000/danger den cooling/2X 7900GTX OC edition BFG (CPU and GPU water blocks) running at a tatally stable 2.8-2.9 Ghz (past FX55-57 speeds).

You still don't know the definition of excellent?

What made you think i didn't ?. Just because my personal system likely eats yours for lunch doesn't mean yours is not excellent, because it might very well be even if you're not running SLI. If you only have one 7900GT (for instance) but you are totally stable with loops of prime95/gl excess/3dmarks looped for 14 hours your good to go and i would consider it excellent.

Ummm... Dude... My brother plays that game on his 4 year old desktop.

Specs? I highly doubt it, and if he does the best laptop GPU would have been the 9700 mobile (non pro). If it was 2 1/2 years ago he would have had a 6800NU mobile. 2 years ago a 6800U mobile

I know exactly what setting he would have to set it at just to get it to a miserable 10 FPS. Care to disprove me with screenshot of the device manager to prove the GPU and some FRAPS screenshots showing anything more than 10-20 FPS with dips down to 1 with ALL seetings on super low (looking like a slideshow and DX7 graphics)?

I think you get the point....

That's okay, I don't play your game

Actually .... you were baited. The reason being is that i know your mouth would spill garbage if i gave a reason for you see see a clear highway to do so. It's an old tactic but it works, and is needed if you really have a rotten tomato on your vine (which you are).

The obligitory way in which you used the term PWNED also denotes your extreme newbie status (and your status as a miscreant). It sounds like something that a kid on the Steam forums would say after he just learned the term.

Do you really think i'm in a state of trepidation over your highly charged ambiguity?

Think again.

Why not just disprove that a $1000.00 PC can't be done. I clearly proved with my links that it can - unless you definition of excellent actually has to drive your 21" dell at widescreen resolutions. An excellent gaming system/GPU doesn't have to do that. It can also be "excellent" if the system is "excellently" driving a 19" LCD at a 4:3 AR instead of 16:10 or 16:9.

Don't you just love it when the glass half full guy meets the glass half empty guy!

I love threads like this :)

Vicec64 the way you can reel off all those models and specs is impressive if not a little sad, but I liked it.

As defined:
Excellent-

ex·cel·lent (ĕk'sə-lənt) pronunciation
adj.

1. Of the highest or finest quality; exceptionally good of its kind.

Notice the word qauility in there?

Of course it's part of excellency. Is the parts you picked out OF HIGHEST QUALITY?

^ Do you mean "shows? (not "showed")? And ...how so.

Good question... How does it show the wealth of knowledge you keep referring to?

You have a 'kiddie' definition of excellent i would presume. I would also bet you're not much older than one.

Ahh, have to throw out the old your younger than me so I know more insult? Doesn't work with me. I may be younger than you, but that doesn't mean you know more so get over it. Although I don't question your knowledge. You obviously know hardware, but I think what you're doing here is rediculous.

YOU never ASKED any questions sport.

I did...

question: (when you were missinterpreting the word excellent)
So if 'high end' means something even higher, then how is it possible to get higher than the highest quality?

You made the claim that a $1000.00 gaming PC that could be called excellent is un-doable.

Right.

You never made your case to the contrary after making that statement.

No proof needed. You're the one who has to disprove. (which you haven't given an excellent $1000 gaming PC)

bordering on meglomania.

Ooopsssyyyy. You got a spelling error. If you're going to correct my english, then be sure yours is correct.

What made you think i didn't ?. Just because my personal system likely eats yours for lunch doesn't mean yours is not excellent, because it might very well be even if you're not running SLI. If you only have one 7900GT (for instance) but you are totally stable with loops of prime95/gl excess/3dmarks looped for 14 hours your good to go and i would consider it excellent.

Specs? I highly doubt it, and if he does the best laptop GPU would have been the 9700 mobile (non pro). If it was 2 1/2 years ago he would have had a 6800NU mobile. 2 years ago a 6800U mobile

Maybe you didn't read the part where it was a desktop?

Actually .... you were baited. The reason being is that i know your mouth would spill garbage if i gave a reason for you see see a clear highway to do so. It's an old tactic but it works, and is needed if you really have a rotten tomato on your vine (which you are).

You describe yourself very well. Just remember who is having the baby fit (you and your suppose to be an adult, right?) and complaining -- YOU.

The obligitory way in which you used the term PWNED also denotes your extreme newbie status (and your status as a miscreant). It sounds like something that a kid on the Steam forums would say afster he just learned the term.

It's more of a modern term. I don't know how much in the past your face is stuck in, but get a life this is 2006.... Get your head out of the sand.

Why not just disprove that a $1000.00 PC can't be done. I clearly proved with my links that it can - unless you definition of excellent actually has to drive your 21" dell at widescreen resolutions. An excellent gaming system/GPU doesn't have to do that. It can also be "excellent" if the system is "excellently" driving a 19" LCD at a 4:3 AR instead of 16:10 or 16:9.

Umm.... I don't have a 21'' Dell. I have a custom built desktop that beats the crap out of the ones you built. I'll post specs here in a sec to own your rig you posted for the thread starter. It's, of course, not $1000 dollars, but it's like I said, you can't build an excellent gaming machine for $1000.

My Wife's PC has a Asus A8N-E motherboard, a MSI 7600GT, a 16MB cache single SATA HDD. It games excellent for the setup she uses - really does. It never crashes. It really doesn't (actually it crashed once when i used NGO unofficial drivers). It was all under $1000.00 easily

50 FPS in FEAR high settings

45 In Obvlivion with dips to 20 (even the x1900xtx dips to 25-30'ish at time

These are the latest most intensive GPU titles.

All settings high except for shadows on FEAR, and draw distance in Obvivion. She has Sony 20" CRT for display so that helps to be able to scale the resolution down to 1280x1024 or 1152x864 to get better frame rates. Nonetheless it's excellent for what it does.

Okay specs on my machine that was built about 5-6 months ago. Approx cost $2500.

Samsung 204 b ($575 at the time of purpose.. much cheaper now)

Case: http://lian-li.com/Product/Chassis/Middle_Tower/Classical_Silent/M_C_S_PC-6070plus_2.htm -- $150?

keyboard (small zippy keyboard around $30)

Asus a8n32blahblah SLI delux mobo (64 bit S939) -- think it was $250 at the time, but I could be wrong about that... I'm pretty sure it was, though.

CPU ( don't have exact details at the moment was an AMD something) -- $550.

VGA -- 256 7800 GTX (don't have details right now somewhere around 1350-1400 clockspeed)

RAM -- 1 gig of Crucial (best memory in my opinion) -- $175

300 gig HD (Don't remember cost)

Oh well, you catch my drift. I'm at work (suppose to be working) right now and don't know everything off the top of my head.

After taking a look at some of the prices on equipment that costed me a lot of dough, I could very well be wrong. I'll build one on the internet and see later.

It looks like my monitor has dropped almost 250, my cpu 300, and my graphics card about 2. Don't you hate the rate of change?

Don't you just love it when the glass half full guy meets the glass half empty guy!

Vicec64 the way you can reel off all those models and specs is impressive if not a little sad, but I liked it.

Hey, we kissed and made up via PM.

PS: I don't look at things as being half empty. I look at them as being built twice as big as they should have been.

lmao, and you''re exactly right. Time for me to cool it and conduct myself better. I'm sure if i met Server_Crash we would have a blast with him in person just talking about computers. Things can get out of hand on forums but in person these things are usually met with smiles and tech talk that never winds down into somethng like this. My apologies are thusforthly handed to Mr. Sever_Crash.

-Regards

I'm sure if i met Server_Crash we would have a blast with him in person just talking about computers.

I don't doubt that ;) I have to listen to programmers and read/write code all day, so some hardware talk would be great. Of course with building my own machine I always look into how I can make it better. Recently I added some nice creative speaks and a canon pixma 500 to the mix... not exactly mods, but additions.

To me hardware is just fun. When you build it. Tweak it. Test it, and finally detail it with mods or whatever it's so much better than anything that can be bought of the shelf. :cool:

We just added the Logitech X-530's to my Wife's system and She loves those. I gave her my Audigy 2 and i got the X-Fi at newegg just this past week when they had that crazy $82.00 sale for the extreme music card. I also recently built a cmoy headphone amp and now the grados headphones really sound nice.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.