Hmm... That is about the 5th time I've heard someone use that same analogy for several different threads.

probably it was joe too...

That's why I quoted him.

i mean...in the other threads...

It's called business. The owner needs people to continue going to the amusement park or he loses his job. Money makes the world go round.

Yup, that's sadly true.

Hmm... That is about the 5th time I've heard someone use that same analogy for several different threads.

It must be a good one, then. :-) I just find it hard to imagine shutting down an entire type of business because of a few accidents. I don't have any statistics here, but it's probably fair to say that a lot more people die in automobile-related accidents than in amusement park rides. I think that the analogy suits this situation perfectly.

To be fair, I'd like to repeat that this is a horrible, horrible thing to happen to this girl. But it would be just silly to shut down amusement park rides because of this.

I'm kind of sleepy right now, would you mind pointing out where I've used it before? The only one I can remember at the moment was in the smoking thread where Rashakil(?) used it.

*cough i was joking *cough

> *cough i was joking *cough
Its nice that you regard Joey as a mind reader to have known from your smiley'less' post that you were joking. :-)

Heh, smiley'less'. His avatar is even a smiley. Lol.

i'm always joking... :P

i'm always joking... :P

Seriously?

rides are safer than driving or flying IMHO

Look what i found on the net:

Investigation focuses on cable

(Saturday, June 23, 2007) - The manufacturer of the Superman Tower of Power says it did not supply the cable that sliced off a girl's feet at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom on Thursday. The ride's cables and wire ropes would have had the need for replacement at least several times since the ride opened in 1995, but those replacement parts did not come from Intamin. The company says it has not supplied parts for the ride for 13 years.

Inspectors from the Kentucky Department of Agriculture's Office of Consumer and Environmental Protection believe that the cable is to blame for the accident, but they are still trying to determine why the cable snapped and how it got caught around the girl's legs.

Is that a not-so-subtle hint that the cables werent replaced in 13 years?

They didn't replace them!?!?
What on earth is wrong with these people?!
Well if they weren't replaced, it lies totally on the operators conscience, seeing as they look after it; repairs, etc

Not the operators, but the park mechanics who test, diagnose, and repair the rides.. They obviously didn't think new parts were required..

Seems crazy to not replace an extremely dangerous rides cables for 13 years.They should sue.

Hell yea they will, and they will be handsomely rewarded..

I wonder how much they will get?

Is that a not-so-subtle hint that the cables werent replaced in 13 years?

Not necessarily. It could be a not-so-subtle hint that the replacements were made with inferior materials, since the original company didn't provide them.

There could be lots of reasons why they were/were not replaced.

What would they be.......they should've thought of the safety of the riders.13yr. old cables are pretty old when you consider all of the rides there are and how much they are used.

There's no guarantee that the cables were thirteen years old. The only thing that article states is that the original company hadn't replaced them in thirteen years. It's always possible that the park went with someone else for replacements. I doubt that was wise, but it's still possible.

If that is the case, then whether it was the mechanics or operators or whoever's fault, they are employeed by the park (right?) so they are the one's at fault (possibly for hiring incompotent employees who will find it difficult to find jobs later, I think).

thats where i got the 13 years thing from

The scariest roller coaster I've been on is The Borg at Carowinds. You lay down instead of sitting or standing.

I would imagine these seven found it a bit scary as well:

(Saturday, March 18, 2007) - Seven Carowinds employees suffered minor injuries while test riding the BORG Assimilator roller coaster at Paramount's Carowinds theme park in Charlotte, North Carolina. According to park officials, the ride operator unlocked the pins that hold the seats in place as the train was leaving the station, causing the seats to shift position.

i dont like the ones where you hang by your arms

Actually, every roller coaster is designed so that without a safety harness you can still ride that ride and never fall out. It's just a precaution like a seat belt is when you ride your car.

i dont like the ones where you hang by your arms

I've never seen one though.

I would imagine these seven found it a bit scary as well:

Wow. That would have sucked.

Think how that guy on the discovery channel feels.He works with the guys that build the things, then he test rides it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.