Hi all,

I'm new here. Hello! I am a new comp. sci major and am required to take a beginning course which we learn c++. So far I've been hanging in, but I don't have the greatest teacher to learn from. I've had no formal programming language training. I've actually been learning more by watching Harvard lectures on academicearth.org. I have the Savitch Absolute C++ (3rd edition) along with my professor's course reader which is terrible.. The Savitch book is alright, but I'd prefer a more of a beginner type book. I downloaded the ebook (Learn c++ in 21 days).. So far I enjoy it even though I'm only on the 2nd chapter.

What sources would you all recommend to a beginner in c++? I'd appreciate any suggestions you may have as I'm genuinely interested in learning it, but want to learn it right the first time.

I've been using M$ Visual Studio Express 2005 for my IDE.

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Nice resource. Thanks!

I know there's also a seperate thread about C++ Books, but 'C++ Black Book' is a very beginner-friendly book, it explains nearly the whole C++ syntax in detail, step by step ...

But it might not be an appropriate choice for you because you only need to learn the basics...

The following site has also some C/C++ tutorials: http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial.html#c++tutorial

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.