Brian Boyes 0 Newbie Poster

I have similar experiences to the post with the same titme (May 2008) I therefore attach 3 HJT files. The problem & its history:
OS Windows XP Pro SP2 with Bit Defender Internet security 2008. Internet connection is ADSL via ISP provided modem (that includes hardware firewall) - Neuf box (French).
As I have had an AOL mail address for many years I retained this when AOL France was bought by Neuf Cegetel. THe AOL web broser programme does not permit uploading files other than JPG and saving e-mails on local PC difficult, therefore I have continued to keep the AOL programmes loaded on PC.
With AOL 9.0 it was not possible to access the internet (not a problem as I always use Firefox) but each time AOL 9.0 was closed it downloaded a file, installed it then shut down. When AOL released version 9.1 I downliaded this and was then able to access internet with Firefox, IE6 & AOL, that was until AOL installed automatically their VR update. After that, I was not able to view ant internet sites with either Firefox or IE6 although Firefox tells me that thee page is loaded, I can ping and AOL emails can be read. I have reloaded Firefox in both English & French versions 2.0.0.14 and now version 3.0 (no joy). Turning off both Bit defender & Windows firewall has no effect.
Finally, I removed AOL 9.1 and reinstalled AOL 9.0. THis then had the same problem as before (no internet access). I now therefore have no internet access at all! However, I found that I could get internet access in both Firefox & IE6 when booting the PC in safe mode. I tried downloading AOL 9.1 but it only sees a PC with the system resources available in safe mode (not enough to run the programme).
I suspect therefore that the problem is 'simply' one of configuration but I have so far not managed to find any effective solution from various different forums. I am hoping therefore that a Daniweb geek will pull a trump from a hand of computer fix-it solution!
(This post is sent from another PC with Windows XP Pro SP1, with Firefow, IE6 & AOL 9.0 all working together, but the AOL programme still tries to add a file each time it is closed. I look forward to the day of no AOL programmes on my PCs.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.