Grrr........ my thinkpad is annyoing me again

Since i did a kernel upgrade from 2.4 to 2.6 nothing works (in fact like 90% of all 2.6 distros fail on it)

Any good (modern) distros that still use 2.4?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Several, however I don't really think it's the kernel that is really the issue. 2.6 actually has far better driver support than 2.4 for the regular user, what exactly isn't working for you?

Since i did a kernel upgrade from 2.4 to 2.6 nothing works (in fact like 90% of all 2.6 distros fail on it)

Are you sure you're configuring the kernel correctly before you compile it? One of the biggest problems I have when compiling a new Linux kernel is that I forget to add support for an essential piece of hardware that is in my computer, and then the kernel simply doesn't work (or at least doesn't get very far).

Before doing any kernel configuration, you should download the pciutils package, and use the included lspci program to list all hardware detected in your computer. Ideally, print it out or something, so that you can check off what you've already configured support for when you're in the configuration process. A very important thing is to make sure you get the processor architecture set correctly (although I don't suspect you have this problem).

Then try recompiling and see what happens. Nearly all Linux distros work with the 2.6 kernel, and I've never encountered one that doesn't work yet.

my BIOS has a faulty ACPI (known problem)

windows 98 runs ok and FC1 runs OK but modern systems like XP or any 2.6 linux distributions dont work

The problem is always that if i dont use acpi=off it doesnt boot by saying that it cant find the CDROM and to use irqpoll but if I use irqpoll then the machine reboots. There are also variuos other issues

Its a paradox really as to install the BIOS flash i need a windows OS
but i cant install XP without it
Also it requires a full battery to do the flash
But there worth more than the laptop (and the faulty BIOS is why the battery died permatureley)

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Ive even compiled a kernel from another PC with every possible module and parameter i could ever need and it still didnt work so i know its definately the kernel. The R30 issue is a documented one but the solutions available (which are still very hit and misss) are only for the ones with the flash update

windows 98 runs ok and FC1 runs OK but modern systems like XP or any 2.6 linux distributions dont work

There's nothing wrong with the distro. So then the real question is, "How can I get Linux on my laptop which is half-broken?"

Its a paradox really as to install the BIOS flash i need a windows OS
but i cant install XP without it
Also it requires a full battery to do the flash
But there worth more than the laptop (and the faulty BIOS is why the battery died permatureley)

So you can't use Windows 98 to install the flash update? What about Wine? If you can't get that working, I would say you should get your laptop serviced or do it yourself (like put in a new BIOS).

costs too much, i freezed the battery and almost managed to get it flashed but then it failed at the last hurdle

im just gonna scrap the damn thing as i know someone who can get me cheap lenovos

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.