I tried "SLAX." I tried "KNOPPIX." I tried "BCC-LNX." Guess how many of them booted up for me to try? One of them. The BCC-LNX did, but it didnt like my mouse. So, I burned an Ubuntu Live CD (somehow, I think it was my dad, actually). Vwala. It boots up and runs fine!

Now: I have the option of installing from this disk. Will it just install the stuff that is in the live cd, or will it install a full Ubuntu installation? I was thinking of getting rid of either my Redhat 9 or my WIndows 98 installs (yes, I know, old stuff). Is Ubuntu good? I mean easy to maintain and use? Is there an Ubuntu equivalent of "yum?"

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Now: I have the option of installing from this disk. Will it just install the stuff that is in the live cd, or will it install a full Ubuntu installation?

From what I understand, the Ubuntu Live CD will install a full Ubuntu installation.

I was thinking of getting rid of either my Redhat 9 or my WIndows 98 installs (yes, I know, old stuff). Is Ubuntu good? I mean easy to maintain and use? Is there an Ubuntu equivalent of "yum?"

Yeah, Ubuntu's OK. It's good for newbies, because it recognizes hardware very well. And if you mean a package manager, it's based on Debian so it uses apt-get. And if you want, you can also install yum on Ubuntu:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/admin/yum

Hope this helps

dont use ubuntu on your windows 98 pc if its not that good specs, general rule for ubuntu is 2ghz and 512mb ram (1ghz and 384 is ok for office work)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.