I am not a database person by far. I know how to efficiently use MS Access. I posted a topic earlier in the design forum and received good responses that have led me to want to use MySQL.

The database I want will eventually be fairly expansive. To start with I will be setting up 10,000,000 records with 100 or more fields of information per record. Hopefully to expand over the next year or so to 100,000,000 records with the same fields.

What I would like to know is one is there a nice gui design tool for MySQL.

Is there a nice front end query tool for MySQL.

I will be trying to run queries in several different ways on various fields, and would like something simple to use.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

SQLYog is pretty easy to use.

thank you I'll definitely look into it

Hi,
This is Eliza.I believe the following link might be helpful.
http://solutions.mysql.com/solutions/tools?type=13

I am not a database person by far. I know how to efficiently use MS Access. I posted a topic earlier in the design forum and received good responses that have led me to want to use MySQL.

The database I want will eventually be fairly expansive. To start with I will be setting up 10,000,000 records with 100 or more fields of information per record. Hopefully to expand over the next year or so to 100,000,000 records with the same fields.

What I would like to know is one is there a nice gui design tool for MySQL.

Is there a nice front end query tool for MySQL.

I will be trying to run queries in several different ways on various fields, and would like something simple to use.

Personally I use HeidiSQL, its light weight, easy to use and free. Here is a list of MySQL front end tools you can choose from.

Of course MySQL Workbench is available and is free... I use it to do the primary layouts on most of my work and then once I move it to MySQL I then do the work in phpMyAdmin but modifying the tables etc. requires that you know some SQL basics.

Great topic... I'd love to hear about others experiences and which tools they use, which ones they avoid and if they employ multiple tools.

I'll definitely let you know how my experience works out.
I use to work a little with php/mysql with phpbb. But that was eon's ago when i was interested in learning knew things.. now.. 10 years later I don't remember anything. So we are starting ground up all over again. I was just hoping there were some tools to make it simpler because I don't remember or learn things as easily as I use too.

I'll definitely let you know how my experience works out.
I use to work a little with php/mysql with phpbb. But that was eon's ago when i was interested in learning knew things.. now.. 10 years later I don't remember anything. So we are starting ground up all over again. I was just hoping there were some tools to make it simpler because I don't remember or learn things as easily as I use too.

You think the learnings bad now... just wait until you're in your 50's! LOL

The tools portion of code development is still incredibly rudimentary... regardless of platform... and this one is no exception. One should be able to point and click to create views etc but I havent found a tool that even comes close to simplifying the process.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.