I have to pass a string to a function that strcats something to it, in K&R I read to pass a pointer to it, but I don't know where to allocate buffer...
Is there a difference betw passing an empty string or not?
My printf starts with some strange symbols, and then the string...

int main()  {

char *string;

//here or in string_concat? or both?
    string = (char*) malloc(16 * sizeof(char)); 

string_concat( &string );

printf("%s", string);

return 0;
}

void string_concat( char **string )  {

//write in string something, need a realloc?
    strcat(*string, something);    

}

>I don't know where to allocate buffer...
Since you're passing the buffer by reference to string_concat, you should allocate the buffer in main, but if string_concat tries to make the string longer than the buffer can hold, you still have a reference to the original pointer and can use realloc.

> Is there a difference betw passing an empty string or not?
The string you pass should always end with a null character because that's what strcat expects for the first argument. You're getting strange symbols because you didn't do that:

string = (char*) malloc(16 * sizeof(char)); 
string[0] = '\0';
string_concat( &string );

Passing by reference only means to pass a pointer, and all arrays are always passed by reference, never by value.

It is not necessary to pass a pointer to a pointer. Passing by reference means to pass a pointer, and String is already a pointer. All that function needs is a pointer to the allocated memory where to do the concantination. Its not necessary to change the value of the original pointer that was allocated in main().

void string_concat( char *string )  {

//write in string something, need a realloc?
    strcat(string, something);    

}

In practice, i saw always is better to pass the pointer as a self-reference, since the pointer data is volatile (and may reference different memory allocations at different time), so, the only constant is the memory allocation of the pointer, that saved me a lot of debugging hours (and spend a lot by not using it)

for your problem, if timing is not critical, you may check the size of the concatenation, and if size > allocation size, then make a call to realloc (be sure to not abuse from this... realloc allocates a new memory space before deallocating previous one)

Ok, I think I've understood the mistery.
Infact I decided to pass a pointer to a pointer because in the interface I'm implementing the function is declared this way, what pros in such a solution (instead of a common char ptr)?

@ InfernalDrake
I'm not sure to have completely got what you mean wits "as a self reference" in this passage:

i saw always is better to pass the pointer as a self-reference, since the pointer data is volatile (and may reference different memory allocations at different time), so, the only constant is the memory allocation of the pointer

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.