Iam doing my comp engg in india...we arent taught C in extreme detail in our univ...is it crucial or wil it make things very simple for me in the future if i make sure i get a high level training in C at this initial stage?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Iam doing my comp engg in india...we arent taught C in extreme detail in our univ...is it crucial or wil it make things very simple for me in the future if i make sure i get a high level training in C at this initial stage?

Honestly, i learned C++ as my first programming language. I don't think you really need to know C that much because C++ covers all of C and more. Knowing C will maybe extend your ability to use C++ but by no means will limit your C++/JAVA learning experience.

Talking from experience here. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

It really doesn't matter.

C++ is C with a bunch of extras. If you take the C class, when you're done you won't have to learn a lot of the basic C++ things (functions, pointers) and you can move onto things like classes and templates :)

I never learned C really, I learned C++, but i can easily read C syntax, so really, i doesn't matter :)

Hope I helped :)

There is no need to learn C , you can start learning C++ , it will save you from unlearning C coding style.

commented: Yes, the "unlearning" is a good point. +36

Every language is beautiful in its own way...C++ is modern object oriented language which is the trend now (and ya better one too out of C and C++ ).But C kind of pushes you into a place where you need to struggle a bit but will strengthen your coding skills and flexes your brain a lot,so finally its your choice but ya to learn C++ you don't need C but its better to know C++ before JAVA.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.