I'm looking for a bit of advice. We're getting to the point in our game development where I need to start thinking how we're going to integrate scripting into the game engine. I was looking at Lua, but am also interested in what Perl or Python might be able to do for us. I wanted to see if anybody on DaniWeb has a strong opinion on what language is best for integration with C++. I'm looking for simplicity more than anything else. I want to be able to store scripts in our database, call them from within our C++ game engine, be able to pass arguments to them and be able to receive data back from them. I'd also like them to be able to call C++ functions if need be, in order to access data from our database.

Thanks very much for your opinions!!!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

> I'm looking for simplicity more than anything else. I want to be able to store scripts in our
> database, call them from within our C++ game engine, be able to pass arguments to them
> and be able to receive data back from them. I'd also like them to be able to call C++
> functions if need be, in order to access data from our database.

python with the Boost.Python library.
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_35_0/libs/python/doc/index.html

I like Lua. It's easy to implement in C/C++ and can call C/C++ functions if you register them.

But if Python is easy to implement, it's alot more powerful; and generally easy to script.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.