well here's my story...... im 16 ..... and i do wish very much to learn how to work with computers..... but the thing is i don't know from where to start......... i know nothing about programming ...... and i want to use my intellectual capacities to solve problems and mostly of all to make people like me who love PC games happy ..... well basically my problem is i don't know where to start to ..... sorry for saying the same thing twice..... can someone please mail me a link to a forum which explains how to program ? i saw something like python and C++ and C .... but i don't know what they mean .... much less where to find a place that can explain and learn them to me...... my email is SNIPPED .... thanks for reading so far and i would apreciate to get a link or any usefull information about my problem ....... i'll visit this link once in a while so just reply if you got any idea or if you have the time just mail thanks again !

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

Start by reading this thread. Buy yourself one of the good books mentioned in that thread and start studying form page #1. You can also find lots of tutorials on the net that will get yourself started.

Take the Computer Science course if your school offers one. That is the best place you can start from.

Good luck!!

Take the Computer Science course if your school offers one. That is the best place you can start from.

Good luck!!

No, it's often not the best place to start from. Lot's of CS teachers in high school are not good. Not all, but lot's. This is probably becouse most of the good one's are teaching university classes. My teacher isn't too bad (I'm also 16), but if I was a complete newbie, I would have suggested to myself to re-learn everything online.

>>I would have suggested to myself to re-learn everything online.

But you get a lot of old information, or just plain mis-information that way. IMHO the best method is to buy a good c++ book. I realize 16-year-olds may not be able to afford the price, so get a job and save up for it, or borrow the money from your parents (or grandparents).

I'm also new to programming and at first was confused by all the C's and +'s and whatnot. Lol. Ask your self what you want to do the most. Program games? Useful software? If you answer games. then start with c++ or java. I started with c++. If you answered software, you may want to look into .NET languages, languages like c#.

Have you though about not starting with c++, as I hear it can
be intimidating to beginners.

Also "I'm new and already need help", generally, when one is a
beginner, thats when help is needed.

No, it's often not the best place to start from. Lot's of CS teachers in high school are not good. Not all, but lot's. This is probably becouse most of the good one's are teaching university classes. My teacher isn't too bad (I'm also 16), but if I was a complete newbie, I would have suggested to myself to re-learn everything online.

Clearly, the guy here doesn't even know what is C++ and C... I mean no matter how bad your teacher is, he/she wouldn't be hired if they weren't capable of give AT LEAST the basic knowledge of programming and where to start.

You can start online but, you will need great dedication and self motivation to push yourself and not just give up on the basic first problems that you will face.

ancient dragon i would love to learn online but as the other said on the internet its hard to find something usefull .... as the other said even if you find something that you think may be usefull its never 100% that it is good and not a total rip-off .... if you would remember where you found the information that helped you or have any idea where i should try to look for these tutorials .... like a site that you think can be considered at least decent not saying it needs to be very clear in all the maters just enought to get me started and the rest i'll solve out by myself or asking someone who knows more such as yourself or any other member of this forum ........

I mean no matter how bad your teacher is, he/she wouldn't be hired if they weren't capable of give AT LEAST the basic knowledge of programming and where to start.

True, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he has good
programming habits.

ancient dragon ... if you would remember where you found the information that helped you or have any idea where i should try to look for these tutorials

I started learning C in 1980(?), long before the internet existed as it does today. I bought a textbook, cheap computer (at that time from Radio Shack) and started reading.

Here are a few good tutorials. Although I have not read them thoroughly, these look to be very good, and geared to beginners who know absolutely nothing about programming.

thanks ill read them as soon as possible :

>You can start online but, you will need great dedication and self motivation to push yourself and not just give up on the basic first problems that you will face.
Yeah, that's a real issue. If you are going to teach yourself, after you are familiar with the language, make a list of programs you want to write and when you want to finish them. Just stick with it. Try and make the program's short and interesting. If you have freinds that are learning with you, or already know C++, have competition's with them.

>Clearly, the guy here doesn't even know what is C++ and C
At what point did I say I was a guy? :P I've learn't C++ when I was about 14, and started C a few month's ago (maybe 10).

"At what point did I say I was a guy? I've learn't C++ when I was
about 14, and started C a few month's ago (maybe 10)."

Why would you want to learn C after learning C++?

Why would you want to learn C after learning C++?

Which is better, knowledge of just C++, or both C++ and C? It's nice to have a variety of languages, even if their old.

You know C++ is a MAJOR step above C.

At what point did I say I was a guy? :P I've learn't C++ when I was about 14, and started C a few month's ago (maybe 10).

I wasn't talking about you. I was referring to the original poster...

"which explains how to program ? i saw something like python and C++ and C .... but i don't know what they mean "

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.