Hi, so as an excuse to learn Java (I currently only know Python), I would like to write a simple 2D web-based game. How would you recommend me doing this? Should I write the entire game from the ground up? Should I use a game engine?

If you would like me to be more specific, I would like to rewrite the classic old game "Block Dude" (introducted on the TI-83 calculator). You can find an example of what I would like to do here.

Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Java applets? New also in Java but it sounds like it is what you need
Let experts say something ;)

> How would you recommend me doing this? Should I write the entire
> game from the ground up? Should I use a game engine?

Start small and definitely go for a game engine; you are trying to write a game and not a game engine. Leave the exercise of writing a game engine to a some other time. How about developing your game using Slick 2D Engineand then serving it via Java Web Start. Never done that but should be a fun exercise.

> Java applets?

AFAIK, Applets come with their own headaches and are generally frowned upon by end users due to their startup time. See my suggestion above for alternatives.

Thanks for the great suggestions! I will have to try those things out.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.