Hi, so I've been programming with Python (2.x) for a while now, and I was wondering about what people thought of 3.x. From just a few quick searches, some people recommend that people get used to it quickly as it is the future, and others say to just stay with 2.x because of the lack of ported libraries to 3.x and such.

What do you all think? Would it be a good idea to start moving over to Python 3000? Is it really necessary? Is wxPython expected to be ported over soon?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

If i remember correctly wxPython is not looking to port to python 3.x any time soon. So if you are interested in using that then i would reccomend that you don't change.

Personally i have not moved, i have tried it out but i never really found a reason to stick with it in the end so i have stayed with python 2.6 and i will until there is a major reason to change and at the moment there really isnt.

commented: good point +10

If i remember correctly wxPython is not looking to port to python 3.x any time soon. So if you are interested in using that then i would reccomend that you don't change.

Personally i have not moved, i have tried it out but i never really found a reason to stick with it in the end so i have stayed with python 2.6 and i will until there is a major reason to change and at the moment there really isnt.

IMHO Paul's approach is good.

Try out Python3, so you know what the advantages might be. I have to warn you that the changes are quite complex as they pertain to unicode. Get used to byte strings.

The Tkinter GUI toolkit is now a package called tkinter, and with version 3.1.1 has been updated to include ttk, giving you 6 additional widgets:
Combobox, Notebook, Progressbar, Separator, Sizegrip and Treeview

The PyQT GUI toolkit works flawlessly with Python3.1.1

Python26 lets you take a look at some of the new functions introduced with Python3. Here is a good example about format() and formatting strings:
http://www.daniweb.com/code/snippet232375.html

Yes i have to wait for 3 party libraries to be ported to python 3.x.
Like wxpython very much so have to wait for that to by portet to python 3.x
Have off course python 3.x installed to look at changes.

Twistet i think will not be ported to python 3.x before 2015.
I think there is no problem at all to stay with python 2.x,if project that not need 3 party libaryes then man can use python 3.x

Thanks for the feedback everybody, it was good advice. I think I will try it out and might even stay with it if I find to like the Tkinter improvements.

Thanks again everybody.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.