So her is my problem I have a Macbook running OS 10.6.5 and i have python 2.x and 3.x installed on it and I can run python in the terminal but if I try to run the idle it just bounces for a few seconds then disappears. can anyone help.

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

Can you run python idle.py from a terminal ? It would give you the error message ... (I never used a mac)

Um I don't use tkinter but as for running idle.py I try to run it and it gives me no such directory error.

Um I don't use tkinter but as for running idle.py I try to run it and it gives me no such directory error.

can you post the full traceback ?

Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Resources/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python: can't open file 'idle.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory
thats it

Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Resources/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python: can't open file 'idle.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory
thats it

idle.py should be in idlelib. Try this in a python interpreter

>>> import idlelib
>>> print(idlelib.__file__)

it should give you the path to idlelib.

/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/idlelib/__init__.pyc

thats what it gave me.

/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/idlelib/__init__.pyc

thats what it gave me.

Then try python /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/idlelib/idle.py

it started the idle

it started the idle

great !

is that how I have to start the IDLE from now on

is that how I have to start the IDLE from now on

I don't know mac osx well enough (not at all in fact). You could perhaps make a shortcut to idle.py on your desktop and see if a menu allows you to execute the script, or a double click...

You could also post the problem in the mac osx forum http://www.daniweb.com/forums/forum109.html

Well I was trying to fix the Idle so I could use SPE cause that doesn't work as well I thought they might be related I'm not sure.

well I haven't found any SPE troubleshooting so is there any other free python IDEs you can recommend cause I'm not sure what to use what do you use?

well I haven't found any SPE troubleshooting so is there any other free python IDEs you can recommend cause I'm not sure what to use what do you use?

No I can't recommend an ide. I'm using a home-made ide :). But try spyder, it looks promising.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.