There are many inbuilt functions for drawing lines in turbo c..is there any similar functions in ncursers library.....please tell me some equilvalent functions for setfillstyle() in the ncurses library.
Thank u

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Read this to research your question. There are a few links to games at the bottom of that link you might want to read. I have not read them so I don't know what they contain.

ncurses is the unix counterpart to DOS's conio. they both originated in the early 1980's. I beleive conio was basically a windows port of pcurses. they both are largely obsolete. ncurses does not do graphics any more than conio does.

use GTK+ or OpenGL libraries for graphics.

Member Avatar for TEDickey

ncurses is the unix counterpart to DOS's conio. they both originated in the early 1980's. I beleive conio was basically a windows port of pcurses. they both are largely obsolete. ncurses does not do graphics any more than conio does.

use GTK+ or OpenGL libraries for graphics.

Aside from the last line, the rest of that comment can be disregarded. ymmv.

throwing stones is fun, but you need to at least support your off-handed criticism with some sort of context.

my summary was not meant to be an indepth historical review, but i'm pretty sure it's broadly accurate. so please correct me where i'm wrong.

curses is not related to conio.h. From wiki

The first curses library was written by Ken Arnold and originally released with BSD UNIX, where it was used for several games, most notably Rogue. [2] [3] [4]

The name "curses" is a pun on cursor optimization.[5] Sometimes it is incorrectly stated that curses was used by the vi editor. In fact the code in curses that optimizes moving the cursor from one place on the screen to another was borrowed from vi, which predated curses.[3]

curses was originally implemented using the termcap library.[citation needed] A few years later, Mark Horton, who had made improvements to the vi and termcap sources at Berkeley, went to AT&T and made a different version using terminfo, which became part of UNIX System III and UNIX System V. Due to licensing restrictions on the latter, the BSD and AT&T versions of the library were developed independently. In addition to the termcap/terminfo improvement, other improvements were made in the AT&T version:

<snip>
Notes
1. Thomas E. Dickey. "NCURSES - Frequently Asked Questions". http://invisible-island.net/ncurses/ncurses.faq.html.
2. Peter H. Salus (October 1994). "The history of Unix is as much about collaboration as it is about technology". Byte. http://www.byte.com/art/9410/sec8/art3.htm.
3. a b Arnold, K. C. R. C. (1977). Screen Updating and Cursor Movement Optimization: A Library Package.. University of California, Berkeley.

Member Avatar for TEDickey

throwing stones is fun, but you need to at least support your off-handed criticism with some sort of context.

my summary was not meant to be an indepth historical review, but i'm pretty sure it's broadly accurate. so please correct me where i'm wrong.

As noted, ncurses isn't a relative of conio; it's said to share a common ancestor (pcurses) with PDCurses. All of these do line-drawing, using characters (pseudographics). Obsolete means that it's not used anymore (not correct).

Not much to discuss.

As noted, ncurses isn't a relative of conio; it's said to share a common ancestor (pcurses) with PDCurses.

I said "I beleive conio was basically a windows port of pcurses. ". You said ncurses "share[s] a common ancestor (pcurses) with PDcurses.". Conio is so almost identical to PDCurses, it would be hard to believe it was not a direct port.

I never claimed it was a direct descendant, but that sure sounds related to me. So when i said "ncurses is the unix counterpart to DOS's conio." that might be an anecdotal assessment of the current environment, but I don't think my statements are incorrect.

All of these do line-drawing, using characters (pseudographics).

well, this is a bit of semantics. I don't consider ascii blocks to be "graphics", any more than i consider pseudocode to be "code". but i suppose there's room for argument, and the letter of the law may be on your side. Perhaps.

Obsolete means that it's not used anymore (not correct).

Obsolete: no longer in general use; fallen into disuse. of a discarded or outmoded type; out of date.

this is again semantics, but i still say conio is obsolete. and if it's not, then it should be. It's definitely deprecated, as it's clearly something "programmers are discouraged from using" because it is "highly inefficient" and "encourages bad coding practices" and "a better alternative exists"

I admit ncurses is neither deprecated nor obsolete because linux/unix is so much more heavily command line oriented than modern Windows, that it makes sense to use terminal io functions

but I thank you for coming in to correct me. I'll take your hint and try to be more precise with my language.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.