i wanna create a small game using java....suggest me the best one and guidelies to make it........

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

i wanna create a small game using java....suggest me the best one and guidelies to make it........

There are some good guides out there for making java based games - I made pacman myself and am going to start making snake.
For pacman you need to first make the map, which can be made up of anything really - like W's to represent walls and 0's to represent each little ball he can eat. You then need to make a program to recognise and interpret these letters in order to create the game.
If you can't be bothered with that then follow some of the steps on this website:

http://zetcode.com/tutorials/javagamestutorial/basics/

Card games are usually the games of choice for first time developers. Now I don't mean a card game with a gui, just a simple text game.

21's/blackjack is quite an easy start. You should first think about which classes you will need.

Member Avatar for coil

If you could provide a bit more info on your experience and type of game, you might get better suggestions.

Console or GUI? Multiplayer? etc.

If you could provide a bit more info on your experience and type of game, you might get better suggestions.

Console or GUI? Multiplayer? etc.

Second that. Different games will give you practice with different skills.

Two-player strategy games (tic-tac-toe, othello, pente, mastermind) in the console are probably the easiest. All you have to do is get the rules in, and represent the state of play.
Getting the computer to play a credible game against the user is more difficult, but fun for some games.
Plugging in a GUI can be pretty easy, if you design it right from the start. Or it can be hellish, if you don't.

Action games, pacman, etc - now that's a kettle of fish of a different color.

need help in creating a java game like who wants to be a millionaire.. need any suggestion on how to start creating the game..and should i use the Scanner class in storing the questions and answers?? tnx

If you are just starting to learn Java don't start with something too hard. Spend a day doing the simplest game possible (eg scissors/paper/rock or Tic-tac-toe) first. You'll have to learn to code the same basic elements (input/some logic/output) that any game needs, and I promise it will save more than a day when you move on something harder.

i already had a background in java.. i just wanted to know how to get the text from a file..maybe Scanner or else.. and what if in question no.1 i had 10 questions and everytime i started the game..the question in each number is randomed.. how to do that??

Judging by the questions you just asked I doubt that your "background in Java" amounts to very much. Learn to walk before you try to run.
ps: Hijacking someone else's thread is bad manners - if you have a question you should start you own.

Member Avatar for coil

If you have a file of questions and answers already, you can use a Scanner to read in the Strings and store them in an array(list). Then, just pick random indexes with Math.random() (and keep track of the indexes you've already picked).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.