what I am trying to do is retrive the "status" back to my main prog of the status of a patient.

I thought it was a simple case of S.retrieve(index of person I was looking for) and I would recive the status (which is an integer) back to my main function. everytime I try to complie it will not compile. Any suggestions on how to tackle it?

Patient P; declaration of object
Sequence S; declaration of patient

I have a patient object with methods 

void patient::set_status(int aStatus)
            {
            status=aStatus;
            }

int patient::get_status()
            {
            return status;
            }

I have a Linked list with method

SeqItemType Sequence::retrieve(int index)
{
if ((index < 1) || (index > size())){
// can't retrieve something that isn't there
}
ListNode *cur = find(index);
return cur->item.get_status();
}

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Is it just a typo in the post or is the object called Patient with a capital P and the class methods are using patient with a lowercase p?

I figured this one out myself or should I say the solution works!!!

Change SeqItemType to an int. then the method will return an int which is what i wanted and I can use an if/case statement from here.

SeqItemType Sequence::retrieve(int index)
{
}
ListNode *cur = find(index);
return cur->item.get_status();
}

What's the point of this statement? You don't return something else instead and you don't perform any logic...

}

Good point. We have a lab tomorrow morning and I'll ask the lecturer. Sometimes I reckon the lecturer just pulls the notes down off the net somewhere and just throws them out to us.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.