I have acode review checklist which I would like to automate, Could anyone suggest me how i could get started with this.
I would like to create a tool which takes in java extensions and reviews based on custom review check. Would this be time consuming?? any insights on how to go about it would be appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Time consuming to program? Yes, very. You'll probably end up with a complete java source code parser plus a raft of individual rule checks - all of which is perfectly do-able in Java, but it's going to be a lot of tedious code.
I know there are compiler-compilers and generalised parsers out there (although I've never used one myself, so I can't recommend one), but maybe that would be a better route?

the way I see it, that would be the kind of application an entire company would work on for (at least) a year, and then the next years on maitenance and improvements.

Atlassian offers a number of good tools you can use, but the way you describe it: Sonar might be what you're looking for.

it checks your code for the usual 'code smells', points out where they occur, give some information about how you could/should fix it, ...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.