#include <cstdlib>
#include <string>
#include <algorithm>

using namespace std;

// Functions
int instructions();
int game();

//Types and Arrays
string word[] = {"GOLDFISH", "COMPUTER", "ANONYMOUS", "JACKET", "SHARP", "SERVICE", "EFFORT", "CHARACTER", "CHANGE", "WITHOUT", "PRODUCT", "UNFOLDS", "MUSIC", "MOMENT", "LIFETIME", "PROVIDE"};
char guess[50];
char inst[50];

int main()
{
	cout << "\tWelcome to Word Jumble By Khoanyneosr!\n";
	cout << "\nWould you like to see the instructions?"
		 << "\n\t1) Yes = 1"
		 << "\n\t2) No = 2"
		 << "\n- ";
		cin.getline(inst, 50);
		bool done = false;
	do
	{
			switch(inst[50])
			{

case 1:
						instructions();
						done = true;
						break;
			case 2:
						cout << "\n\tGood luck!\n\n";
						system("pause");
							game();
						done = true;
						break;

default:
						cout << "\n\nInvalid input. Try again\n- ";
						cin.clear();
							cin >> inst;
							done = false;
							continue;
			}

}while (!done);

return 0;
}
int instructions()
{
	system("cls");
	cout << endl << endl << endl << "\tINSTRUCTIONS" << endl;
	cout << endl << "1 - You will be presented with a word. Your job is to guess it." << endl;
	cout << endl << "2 - At the beginning of the game your given 10 points." << endl;
	cout << endl << "3 - You will be given 1 hint. Everytime you have to revisit\nthe hint 1 point will be deducted." << endl;
	cout << endl << "4 - For everytime you guess wrong 1 point will be deducted." << endl;
	cout << endl << "5 - When your point value reaches 0, the game is over." << endl;
	cout << endl << "You can exit at anytime by pressing Q." << endl;
	cout << endl << endl << "\tGood Luck!" << endl << endl << endl;

system("pause");
		return game();

}
int game()
{
	char guess[15];
		system("cls");

srand(time(0));
     std::string s = word[ rand() % 16 ];
     std::cout << "\nOriginal word: " << s << '\n';
     std::random_shuffle(s.begin(), s.end());
     std::cout << "\nScrambled word: " << s << '\n';

cout << endl << "What is your guess?\n- ";
		cin.get(guess, 0);

cout << guess[15] << endl;

return 0;
}

That's my code... Is there anyway that in the first switch statement i could use both Char values and int values? if i wanted the user to enter either 1 or a 2 and they enter a z or an f or something, i would like it to prompt them again... but i can't figure it out... Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Problem #1: switch(inst[50]) -- this command only checks the value at inst[50], which is the byte one past the end of the array inst. What are you trying to test here?

Problem #2: case 1: -- You entered characters, not integers, and this case is an integer value.

Is there anyway that in the first switch statement i could use both Char values and int values?

No. Since you don't have any integers, it doesn't matter.

if i wanted the user to enter either 1 or a 2 and they enter a z or an f or something, i would like it to prompt them again... but i can't figure it out...

You've already got it set up properly in the default case.

Your understanding of integer vs character needs to be fixed. If you are reading a character string ising cin.getline(inst, 50); , and you press the keys 2 5 1 enter, you did not enter the integer 251, you entered the characters '2', '5', and '1'.

I see this all the time, and I hope by me explaining it, will make it clear to you.

After creating an array like so: char buffer[10] = { 'a','b','c'}; when you use the operator[] ( [ # ] ) you are accessing a SINGLE ELEMENT. No matter how you try to twist the meaning of using the operator[] on a simple array, it always does the same thing.

This is accessing a SINGLE element of the array, and if I did this: std::cout << buffer[1]; it would access the second element of the array, the second character. It would print 'b'.

The operator[] is NOT magic.

Pointers may seem like magic, but they aren't either. In fact, when I learned to program and had the epiphany that nothing about the computer is magic I was also disappointed.

A C style string (sometimes called a C string) is an array of char's with the last character set to 0, or NULL, or '\0'. The program will process characters in a C string until the terminating NULL character is encountered, this avoids needing to specify the length/size of a string. Thus an algorithm can simply process characters until the character NULL is encountered. This is very important for large strings. Variable length strings are used. The string can occupy a part of, or all of (minus the NULL) a character array.

Pascal strings were limited by a value specifying the length, please see this wikipedia page for more information.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_(computer_science)#Representations

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.