Hi all,

The topic is my question. I’ll explain it more. Just look at the following C++ code segment,

if(number_1 == number_2);
	{
		std::cout << number_1 << " == " << number_2 << std::endl;
	}

Note that, I have put a semicolon just after the right parentheses. It’s not a syntax error, because at the compile time it not gives an error. So, it should be a logic error. I found that semicolon causes the body of the “if” statement to be empty, from a book. So, there can’t be a output like “5 == 5”, if my input are 5 and 5 on the following code.

#include <iostream>	
//using namespace std;

int main()
{
	int number_1;	
	int number_2;	

std::cout << "Enter two numbers:\t";
	std::cin >> number_1 >> number_2 ;

if(number_1 == number_2);
	{
	}

if(number_1 != number_2)
	{
		std::cout << number_1 << " != " << number_2 << std::endl;
	}
	return 0;
}

So where I’m going wrong, my code or my scrap on that book explanation.

The semicolon tells the 'if statement' to do nothing when it is placed directly after it. In other words: if the statement is true do: ';' (nothing)
When the program passes that point it comes to:

{
 }

This part will now always be executed, because there is no longer a condition attached to it :)

So just remove the semicolon and you're back in business

That mean just print a line, I've test it using my inputs as 4 and 5. Still it give the line 4 == 5. That is 100% correct and I got the point.

Now I know why I'm confusing on this, because at the beginning I used the same inputs.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.