Greetings all!

I'm facing a problem that's been throwing me for a loop for a while now. I'm implementing an old VB application that someone else wrote a long time ago onto a VM. I've gotten past a few different issues/errors just to get new ones (that's the name of the game though, right?) but while I've seen discussions on how to resolve this from a software development standpoint, I'm trying to see how to correct it based on the environment since it's already a developed app (with no source code here). I'm getting a message of "Error creating Letter: 429 ActiveX component can't creat object." Any recommendations? I've tried compensating by updating the MDAC and MS Jet40 DLL files but I'm still getting this error (followed by error 91 "Object variable or With block variable not set"). This was implemented on a reformatted XP machine a year or so ago, and this VM is a Win 2000. Any recommendations?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Thats the problem on trying to raise the dead. lol

You are missing an .ocx file (Activex). Go to Refrences and see what is missing. Hopefully it is an ocx that can be downloaded. If written by owner of app, well, if you can not retrieve this from the old system, you're in for it.
Your second error can be that either your MDAC reference is out/forward dated, the database is not in the path where your app is searching for the connection, Database is completely missing, an older version of MSJet is referenced....

I personally would try and rewrite the entire app. Yes, it might take longer, but at least you know where what is.

Good luck.

Well since OP does not have the source, the OP cannot check references, and I'm betting that the "Error Creating Letter: Cannot Create Object" is our best clue as to what might be going on. I'll also bet that the system is missing some third party software like Adobe, or Office because of the "Letter" part.

Good Luck

Thanks guys. I had been looking at differences between the old implementation's DLL versions vs the new, and didn't even think of the fact Word may be a culprit. It would be great if I could just rewrite this (maybe in .NET) but that's not an option.

Well since OP does not have the source, the OP cannot check references, and I'm betting that the "Error Creating Letter: Cannot Create Object" is our best clue as to what might be going on. I'll also bet that the system is missing some third party software like Adobe, or Office because of the "Letter" part.

Good Luck

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.