So, not so much of a coding question but more of a development question.

Some background:
I have finished writing a scheduling program (in part thanks to the folks at Daniweb) in PHP (using MySQL) for a small business that sells musical instruments, music lessons, and the like. The program keeps track of the various teachers' schedules and lessons, students, lesson payments, etc. The main idea was to have it done in PHP because it provides access to teachers who want to view their schedule from home.

The PHP version of the program will be hosted on an XP machine at the store and accessible via localhost (I'm using Mozilla's Prism as a Site-Specific Browser to keep things on the store's end looking as much like a desktop application as possible).

Here's my question:

Has anyone else ever done anything like this? I was using Xampp as a testing server, but I would like to keep the installation as lightweight as possible. Does anyone know of a good, lightweight, and reliable web server that supports PHP and MySQL. I've done the research and read a bit about the various options, and am thinking of either going with Wampp or Usbwebserver V8, but I wanted some first-hand experience from this fine community if it's available :)

Since my application requires Prism, a web server (with PHP and MySQL), and the source code to my application, I'm trying to keep storage space as low as possible.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a bunch,
Ty

PS- I'm not exactly sure if this is the right forum for this, so moderators feel free to move, but I figured this would be the place to start to see if any other PHP developers had similar experience and could shed some light.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Also, I'd like to add that this is my first time doing anything like this. So if you think that I'm going about this backwards, I'm all ears (eyes, I guess) for alternative routes I can take.

Thanks again.

I haven't used it myself, but Uniform Server is promoted as a LAMP stack that you can use for a production server.

Thanks, I looked into that and it's exactly what I needed! Easy to un-package, add my code, re-package, and it's small.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.