Hi

I just got a Linksys WRT54G router from my employer so I can work from home. I connected it to my pc and typed in 192.168.1.1 into my browser so I could configure it. The browser just hung and then timed out. I also tried to ping the address but that also timed out. I have Trend Internet Security installed so I disabled that thinking it may have been the firewall but it still didnt work.

I connected it to my laptop and had no problem accessing it. What could be the problem with my PC :?:

Thanks in advance

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Hi

I just got a Linksys WRT54G router from my employer so I can work from home. I connected it to my pc and typed in 192.168.1.1 into my browser so I could configure it. The browser just hung and then timed out. I also tried to ping the address but that also timed out. I have Trend Internet Security installed so I disabled that thinking it may have been the firewall but it still didnt work.

I connected it to my laptop and had no problem accessing it. What could be the problem with my PC :?:

Thanks in advance

There could be several problems:

1. Your network card has an insecure network card. Make sure that there's a green light on the back of your ethernet card.
2. You have too many services, or "apps" blocking your configuration. Try booting Windwos in Safe Mode (I think you hold down F8.)
3. You have a firewall on your PC, and you don't know it. What's your version of WIndows?
4. Maybe IE needs an update (or whatever browser you're using).
5. Try renewing/releasing your IP address on your computer. Choose Start->Run->winipconfig. Choose your ethernet adapter, and then hit "renew"

Hope this help
--Joe

Hi Joe

Thanks for replying. WHen I typ winipconfig I get an error 'Windows cannot find winipconfig'.

I am using Xp Pro. Its completely up to date.

I have trend internet security which I turned off to no avail. Windows forewall is off.

Not sure about any apps blocking my config.

Will

Thanks for replying. WHen I typ winipconfig I get an error 'Windows cannot find winipconfig'.

OK, in that case, open a terminal (should be something like Start->Command Prompt or something like that), type "ipconfig /renew", followed by a return. This will renew your IP address. You should then type "ipconfig", and see what ip address it reports. Then you can close the prompt.

Hi

I did what you asked and there wasnt any problems:

C:\Documents and Settings\Will>ipconfig /renew
Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:
        Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : localdomain
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
C:\Documents and Settings\Will>ipconfig
Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:
        Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : localdomain
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Unfortunately I still cannot get access to the router :-|

Are you trying this in safe mode? I also think your web browser could be suspect. Have you tried Mozilla's Firefox, or Netscape?

You may also need a Windows update.

Yep, I tried Firefox and still no luck.

I havent tried what you said in safe mode yet but I will try it and let you know what happens.

Will

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.