I was writing a post and included list (made manually not by clicking list-icon. Upon sending my post, my manually-made list was magically changed into bulleted list and font was changed (to smaller one). These are changes which I didnt want. How to revert them? And where the hell is option to preview post? I know that Dani is against having (quote)

bilion options

but, for God's sake, lets not treat users as idiots who dont know what they want.....this kind of automation is not welcomed. Options like post preview, proper quoting, and others, that I mentioned, and which will make webexperience nicer/smoother, are more than welcomed.

BTW. Instead of taking hiatus from DaniWeb and starting new business, Dani should finish what she started. As of now - DaniWeb is still work in progress - it lacks basic functionality, many things are partly implemented etc. DaniWeb have long way to go. For now its skeleton of webapp. It still needs a lot of work to be done well.

Reverend Jim commented: Your constant bitching is getting tiresome. +0

Recommended Answers

All 22 Replies

How to revert them?

Edit your post and make sure your text cannot be interpreted as markdown, which gets the formatting you're talking about.

And where the hell is option to preview post?

Click the green checkmark in the toolbar.

Instead of taking... Dani should...

Don't tell people what they should or should not do.

What? Green checkmark is (by default) used editors-wide as spellchecker sign - so its associated with spellchecking (options). Another nonsense.

Should be another BUTTON that lets you preview your post.... just like in any other software - two buttons: preview and send

commented: Dude. Lose the attitude. +0

Personally, I think the functionality of this site is second to none! I use at least 5 other forums and this is my favorite. You, Wojciech 1, imo, are one of those that can never be pleased. If you are truly unhappy here, don't use these free services. Who are you, exactly, that you think you can dictate to Dani how and what she should do on her site? That's rather presumptuous don't you think?

I have an idea, start your own help forum and see how it goes, perhaps you'll have the knack to please everyone! Nah, I'm thinking not!

Im not saying what Dani shoul or shouldnt do...... Im making use of feedback section of this script.

commented: Troll +0

No, you ARE trying to say what Dani should or shouldn't do. I've read at least 10 posts from you and every one is overly critical of this forum. Every single post! Why are you even here? I know it's not to ask IT related questions because you haven't. I also know that you're not here to help those that have IT related questions, because you haven't.

You are an internet troll! You are lucky I am not a moderator here because I would ban you!

To the moderators, I'm sorry if I'm stepping out of line here but I'm sick of seeing presumptuous POS like this guy trolling around trying to stir up shit.

Hopefully he will realize that he is a guest in Dani's house and like all rude guests he will eventually be asked to leave.

Instead of taking hiatus from DaniWeb and starting new business, Dani should finish what she started.

Dani is free to do whatever the hell Dani wants. You are free to leave if you don't like it here.

Member Avatar for iamthwee

LOL the OP needs to acknowledge the fact he still lives with his mommy who wipes his backside and waits on him hand and foot.

Instead of taking hiatus from DaniWeb and starting new business

Yes instead of creating opportunities for herself and others she should instead stay at home with her mommy who will wipe her backside and wait on her hand and foot, much like you do.

As to the other points, fine there's nothing wrong with feedback... Your feedback however, is laced with venom that tells everyone here you still live with your mommy
who let's you get your own way.

Who needs a preview when you have an 'edit' button.

I do agree with your point about quoting others, still, the immaturity with which you go about putting this point across has rendered your thread nothing more than a rant.

oh and one more thing...OP let us know when you've moved out. I'm ticklishly curious to know when you have.

Upon sending my post, my manually-made list was magically changed into bulleted list and font was changed (to smaller one).

It doesn't matter if you made the list manually or used the List button. The editor toolbar is just a means to auto-insert Markdown syntax into the editor. Click the ? icon in the toolbar for details on the syntax.

And where the hell is option to preview post?

We used to have a live preview that was updated with the final output in real time. However, it was troublesome to maintain (since it was Javascript-based, and our actual parser is PHP-based), and was sluggish on older computers.

A lot of people began requesting a spellchecker as well, so I combined a preview/spellchecker all into one with the little green checkmark icon.

BTW. Instead of taking hiatus from DaniWeb and starting new business, Dani should finish what she started.

I ran DaniWeb fulltime for the past thirteen years, and a year ago, began a second business on the side in order to afford DaniWeb's enormous hosting costs, as advertising revenues were declining. If you were me, would you have simply shut down DaniWeb due to no longer being able to afford its upkeep? Or would you have done what I did, which is figure out a way to bring in another source of revenue to keep the site going? (A business which, by the way, is incredibly symbiotic with DaniWeb.)

Id not start other thitng until prev one is done/Im happy with current state/no more suggestions are given by users on how to improve etc.

I understand that webapp like DaniWeb needs excessive financing, but - with all due respect - this is not the way it should be handled...... Neglecting own users is not the way of doing it....

Why you dont want to introduuce new features suggested by me (and not only me)??

Id shutdown nothing. Id simply upload source code to GitHub or similar and let community build it. That way Id degrade my role to simply accepting/reviewing PRs.

Or Id start selling DaniWeb license....
It requires to be thought over very carefully...

Why you dont want to introduuce new features suggested by me (and not only me)??

You're sending mixed signals. First you want the bugs fixed before adding new features, then you want new features. In both cases, your suggestions have been too vague to act on. In fact, I haven't read any recent feedback posts of yours that do much more than rant on things you personally don't like.

So please, give us details:

1. What do you think is a bug?
  2. Why do you think it's a bug?
  3. What specific behavior would you rather see?

For features:

1. What behavior do you feel is missing?
  2. Please describe the behavior you'd like to see in detail.

If something fundamental is missing, there may be a good reason for that. Assuming that we don't care about members or don't do anything about feedback is unfair.

Things like "Daniweb doesn't do what I want", or "Daniweb isn't like other forums" lack any kind of actionable information. Further, by mixing suggestions with vitriol it's more difficult for us to extract any actionable information or treat legitimate suggestions seriously because it reeks of trolling.

I can assure you that Daniweb's feature set is certainly in flux relative to member feedback, provided that feedback is specific enough to be usable.

Id shutdown nothing. Id simply upload source code to GitHub or similar and let community build it. That way Id degrade my role to simply accepting/reviewing PRs.

How is uploading the source code to GitHub going to earn me enough revenue to pay for all of DaniWeb's expenses in addition to all my living expenses?

Dani: you stated that you have second business that generates income so I assume that you cover your expenses from there...... and you're right saying that releasing source of DaniWeb will not generate income, but this will generate something that is even more precious than financial income: wide user stream whose work/hobby is IT and they will help, and maybe sponsor/s will be found. All in all - its worth trying.

Deceeptikon: Answering your questions, I will add/change/improve many things here:

1. Quoting; add quote button to post/article header, so it stays there at all times,
  2. Tabstops; users are acustomed with template: TAB key = next tabstop; edit field should be included in tabstop count;
  3. Autoscrolling of edit field: cursor should follow enter key; enter should scroll screen so cursor should stay visible all times without need to scroll manually;
  4. Who voted how should be visible: for exaple as mouse hover for vote count;
  5. Editor buttons and tooltips: now there are shrtcuts in tooltips, but there should be at least short description what hovered button does;
  6. Making buttons text's more straightforward and accurate (like submitting reply is Alt+shift+small letter s instead of Alt+S etc;
  7. Every menu entry have width set to fixed: this causes many submenus to be displayed on left side insted right side; width should be set to auto or inherit;

and many other things. Id edit that list once I spot sth that needs improvement/to be added.

Dani: you stated that you have second business that generates income so I assume that you cover your expenses from there

I started a second business last year just to help cover DaniWeb's very expensive costs. That business would not be able to cover DaniWeb's costs on its own, or provide for my living expenses.

and what is the answer for the rest of my 'article'?
If its very expensive to run DaniWeb, just look for sponsorship.

Why Im unable to edit my article where I listed what Id change/add?

Why Im unable to edit my article where I listed what Id change/add?

You can only edit for 30 minutes.

just look for sponsorship.

We don't tell you how to run your business.

Quoting; add quote button to post/article header, so it stays there at all times,

This would only serve to quote an entire post, which in many cases would be excessive given that a large portion of our threads contain potentially long code blocks. Believe it or not, Dani and I actively discussed that particular feature and discarded it because it didn't fit into the most common use cases for quoting.

Tabstops; users are acustomed with template: TAB key = next tabstop; edit field should be included in tabstop count;

I disagree. Users would be very irritated by this behavior when focus is on a text editor control. Something can probably be done to offer a keyboard option to exit the editor though.

Autoscrolling of edit field: cursor should follow enter key; enter should scroll screen so cursor should stay visible all times without need to scroll manually;

This sounds like a bug, in which case we'll need a solid reproduction scenario to have any hope of correcting it. It looks like Dani already has plans for getting that scenario, so we can call this 'in progress'.

Who voted how should be visible: for exaple as mouse hover for vote count;

Votes are anonymous for a reason. There are no plans to change that currently.

Editor buttons and tooltips: now there are shrtcuts in tooltips, but there should be at least short description what hovered button does;

That's a reasonable feature request.

Making buttons text's more straightforward and accurate (like submitting reply is Alt+shift+small letter s instead of Alt+S etc;

I'm not yet convinced that this is a problem for anyone other than you. As such, we'd need more time to test (again!) on the gamut of operating systems and browsers to see if it can be reproduced by someone else.

Every menu entry have width set to fixed: this causes many submenus to be displayed on left side insted right side; width should be set to auto or inherit;

I'm not 100% sure I understand, though I have a fairly good idea. Can you clarify with some screenshots?

I disagree with the part abut quoting. If one quotes other post and its too long/has many inadequate things, one deletes whats inappriopriate and thats it. Thats why I think quoting button is useful.

If one quotes other post and its too long/has many inadequate things, one deletes whats inappriopriate and thats it

You might, and I will, but unfortunately most users on this site do not.

Why? whats wrong with it?

The users here have a history of just quoting the whole post without deleting anything. A discussion thread gets real messy very quickly.

I disagree with the part abut quoting.

Then we'll have to agree to disagree for now.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.