clhamon 3 Newbie Poster

I have always wanted to own my own business. My father owns his own business, and his father owned his own business. I don't want to let that obstruct my judgement though.

I live in Ohio, and it is $125 to start an LLC. I currently bring in about $20,000 gross with my side jobs, so I'm not going to be quitting my primary job any time soon. I am a 1099 employee through one company, and I take side jobs that I find on other websites too.

My main reasons for wanting to do this are:
-To make sure that they don't claim that I caused something and try to take it from my personal savings
-To try to get a tax break or to be able to purchase tools through a business account

My concerns are:
-How do I pay myself?
-Will this actually help me with how little I am relatively making?
-Do I need a PO Box since I live in a apatrment? I am looking at buying a house/condo, will it matter which?

I'm not looking to expand my business to multiple people. I am just trying to do my best, get Cisco certifications, and move out of my apartment to something with an attached garage and no shared walls. In a few years there might be less work or

Should I start an LLC?
I searched through the forums, but couldn't find a discussion like this. If there is one already out there, please send me a link. Thanks!