Post count means nothing
Rep means slightly more but is still not a good measure (geeks lounge rep isnt counted in your score)

All in all it just goes by contribution, as narue says.

I prefer for each forum a man of forum each month, that's would be good idea

Cohen?

cohen?

Twice, :D

Dani?

That would be good!

ArkM, Cohen, The Dude and Iamthwee have all now been invited to participate in forthcoming Member of the Month interviews.

Keep the nominations coming...

:)

cohen?

Yes, me :D

Thanks for the votes jbennet. :D

Cohen

I prefer for each forum a man of forum each month, that's would be good idea

I don't think that is a good idea! It would be a herculean task for the committee to find one person in every community every month (not that there aren't enough people, but there aren't enough qualified ones)!

commented: Correct +15

Yeah, it wouldn't work within the context of the newsletter - which is where we started this thread. One member interview a month is OK, a hundred would be overkill :)

Quick Question.

How often does the newsletter come out?

Cohen

Quick Question.

How often does the newsletter come out?

Cohen

monthly

monthly

What time of the month exactly?

Thanks,

Cohen

scroll all the way down to the bottom of the DaniWeb page and you will see a link to all of them. Its in the grey area named "Newsletter Archive".

@Cohen : May we know the reason behind the two questions, in your previous posts ? I just wanted to figure out where we are going with this. Whats shortlisting Member of the Month or it's process got to do anything with how frequently the Newsletter comes out or when does it come out ?

Newsletter goes out to all members (unless they have opted out) on the first Tuesday of each month.

Awesome :D

I'll be checking my mail box today :D

Cohen

Its out now. Congrats Cohen.

I arrived via a recommendation from a moderator, Jbennet, who I am good friends with.

Thanks for the mention!

:D, I see.

No problems jbennet :)

Cohen

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Wow, I'm actually surprised I didn't make the newsletter.

And for the past week, I've even been nice to people, well almost. Maybe, I'm pursuing my life with the wrong premise.

I'm sorry you guys didn't get a chance to read my prose.
It was tepid by my standards, but still a good read.

But - still not taking anything from Cohen. Congrats chicken.

@iamthwee : We are surprised too, cannot make much of what goes on for selection of the MotM tag.

Earlier in this thread, in this post, I had made public my curiosity for the criteria that holds good for a member to get the Member of the Month medallion. I had my reasons for believing that most probably it would be the number of posts, since a lot of short listed names or whose names had been put up for short listing were prolific in that sense.

A distinguished member of the forum, the Super mod actually, I shouldn't be shy taking her name, replied to my question, satisfying my curiosity to some extent, mentioning that it was the contribution that a member made to the community that was held uppermost. I wasn't entirely satisfied by the reply, since I had observed otherwise, but chose not to comment further. Now after the selection of this month's Member of the Month, I cannot hold myself back but only can exihibit my surprise in this fashion. Reasons follow:

TheDude
Rep Points : 101
Solved Threads : 25
Code Snippets : 0

iamthwee
Rep Points : 512
Solved Threads : 332
Code Snippets : 4

ArkM
Rep Points : 599
Solved Threads : 210
Code Snippets : 1

Cohen
Rep Points : 28
Solved Threads : 37
Code Snippets : 0

I am surprised to know what such contribution has the last member made that the others might have not ? *Head Rolling in amusement*

My commentary is not be taken with offense, not for anyone, if you can understand, Cohen, I hold nothing agaisnt you, I don't even know you well for me to do so. Nor is it the case that the other three personalities are my friends, I, again, do not even know them, their postings, well for them to be (or not to be). But the question of the selection criteria for the tag has once again surfaced in my mind.

Good point. Maybe Happygeek can explain the terms (for the selection of Member of the month) better.

$surprised++;

Who cares.

There are 3 people already on this page! :)

Who cares.

I do. And may be several others, who for reasons known to them did not speak out.

commented: me too +7

Despite what you might think, the member of the month isn't chosen based on any kind of user or staff input. Happygeek has devised a secret mathematical formula which determines the next member of the month; threads like these are only intended to give people the impression that they're 'special'.

>>Happygeek has devised a secret mathematical formula which determines the next member of the month

Its called "toss of the coin" :)

commented: Like it +3
commented: Heh! I think you are right.. +10

Despite what you might think, the member of the month isn't chosen based on any kind of user or staff input. Happygeek has devised a secret mathematical formula which determines the next member of the month; threads like these are only intended to give people the impression that they're 'special'.

I never said it that I wanted it that way. If you happen to read my post carefully, which I don't think you have done, I am just suggesting that the reply to my previous query, of the contribution, doesn't seem to fitting here as cleary the most contribbuted members have been left out. Also if this is the case as you are suggesting now, why not was this previously mentioned ? Read Narue's post and you will understand.

Also commenting on the mathematical formula, well, let me think, a mathematical formula that somehow avoids all highest contributorsand chooses someone else, you guyz must be really good at math ahh ?
Okay so if you haven't got the hint, here's what the secret about the secret mathematical formula is: It is severely flawed.

Its called "toss of the coin"

Yeah right he he, it should really be the coin toss.

[For your information, my last post contained high doses of sarcasm. Below is the point I was trying to make, minus the sarcasm (at least most of it).]

We don't have any special method of determining "member of the month". And no, it's not 'fair'. Basically anyone who's known in the community is eligible, and in the end happygeek just picks someone who he thinks will make an interesting interview for the next month's newsletter.

Narue's post about 'contributions' is more or less correct, but it's a fairly broad term. It doesn't simply encompass post count/reputation, sometimes it has more to do with how someone interacts with the rest of the community.

In short, Ancient Dragon's post holds a lot more truth to it than you might think.

commented: Nice :) +12

We don't have any special method of determining "member of the month". And no, it's not 'fair'. Basically anyone who's known in the community is eligible, and in the end happygeek just picks someone who he thinks will make an interesting interview for the next month's newsletter.

Now, that makes sense.

Yes, certainly, now that makes more sense, and is something that should well give us the reason for the current selection. But aargh... this should certaily not be the way it should be, because, common now, you aren't just giving somebody a good rep, it's a badge that the member carries around thorughout his entire life on Daniweb, which mentions "Featured Poster", which makes the member stand out amongst others. So this certainly shouldn't be left to likes, dislikes and fancies, but rather there should be a more refined procedure to bring out the talented.

And yes certainly as you mentioned, contribution would not be a broad term to mention this, it would be outright irrelevant, since one who makes a good interview might not have some concrete contribution at all.

Also I didn't like this statement.

I arrived via a recommendation from a moderator, Jbennet, who I am good friends with.

It doesn't stand in good stead, especially for the other contenders, subtly displaying that "friends" might just have a bigger weightage for their recommendations.

Lastly, excuse me for having missed your sarcasm, but I was taking this on a serious note, also I rather liked AncientDragon's post for the same reason you mention.

A big part of the 'secret formula' comes down to the answers that I get in response to my questions for the member of the month interview. If someone, no matter how deserving, just replies with a bunch of yes/no responses then they will not get featured. If someone replies with a really set of answers but then tells me they do not want them to be published (this happened recently) they will not get featured. If someone does not reply in time for the forthcoming newsletter, they will not get featured in that newsletter.

The member of the month section is meant to be something that reveals a little more about someone who is an interesting member of the DaniWeb community at the end of the day. Don't read too much into it or you will go insane! :)

Also I didn't like this statement.

"I arrived via a recommendation from a moderator, Jbennet, who I am good friends with."

It doesn't stand in good stead, especially for the other contenders, subtly displaying that "friends" might just have a bigger weightage for their recommendations.

Im not any more a part of the decision making process than any other member...

I didnt reccomend cohen here because he is my friend anyway, i reccomended him because he is a good poster.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.