How can I use code tags that do not produce line numbers? I used to use quote tags, but that is just almost unusable now since the quoted text is hidden. So to preserve the spacing I use code tags, but I don't like the line numbers.

Also, where's the FAQ?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

How can I use code tags that do not produce line numbers? I used to use quote tags, but that is just almost unusable now since the quoted text is hidden. So to preserve the spacing I use code tags, but I don't like the line numbers.

Also, where's the FAQ?

This is the only link I know of and it's obsolete and not linked anywhere that I can see.
http://www.daniweb.com/forums/announcement2.html

[code=plain] seems to do the trick. I forget who stumbled upon that a while ago. The whole formatting guide needs to be re-written/updated and posted somewhere where people can see it.

[code=plain]
Look ma!
No line numbers!
[/code]

Well, that doesn't work any more. See this post in which I used that code tag

Well, that doesn't work any more. See this post in which I used that code tag

Must only work in Community Feedback now. Doesn't do much good here. There were several threads on the subject from the LAST big update seven months ago. It looks like that option may be gone forever. There was the workaround of doing some trivial formatting in order to override the defaults (i.e. make some character bold and that will get rid of the syntax highlighting and possibly the line numbers), like we do with the quote tags now (but that can't be done with all of the posts BEFORE these changes). That may still work. I don't know. It would be better to be simply given a legitimate option to do these things, along with a nice writeup on how to do it. Having to make a period in the post red in order to override default formatting is a bit silly. It comes up often enough that it should be an actual option.

http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread235254.html

Member Avatar for diafol

there wAS a time when I couldn't get line numbers and had to find a way. Is it just as heavy trying to find a way to kill numbers?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.