Would it be a big deal to add an option to the Search to restrict results to the current forum only? When I am on the VB.net forum, for example, and I do a search, I am interested in results in the VB.Net forum only.

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

If it is not too much trouble I would like to suggest something similar to my earlier request. Today I was trying to locate a web site that I had referred to another poster (tutorial on inner and outer joins). I could not recall when, or to whom I had made the post. It would have been helpful if, when doing a search, I had been able to restrict the search to threads in which I had posted. Would this be something that could be (without too much effort) included as a search option?

You can do both of these on other Vb forums i.e. http://forum.brighthand.com/ so should be possible, dani?

Unfortunately your second request isn't currently possible. Restricting by forum is. Restricting by member is not.

Why?

> You can do both of these on other Vb forums
Keep in mind the new system will not be using vBulletin at all. It won't even remotely resemble a vBulletin forum. Therefore, it has an entirely different set of features. There are some similarities it will have with all message boards in general, but the entire way of doing things is completely different.

> Why?
Because we use Google Search to power our search feature. We can limit searching in a particular forum by telling Google to only search a particular directory/sub-directory in the URL tree. There is no indicator for Google to know who posts where.

You could always add your name in the search? If I wanted to find my own snippet, I would use google.com with site:daniweb.com "wxwidgets" "C++" "Nick Evan" and voila: it's the first hit.

Member Avatar for diafol

Jeez - I didn't realise that you were dropping vBulletin. Is this a custom forum site coded from scratch or is it based on another setup?

Jeez - I didn't realise that you were dropping vBulletin. Is this a custom forum site coded from scratch or is it based on another setup?

It's completely written from scratch based on Daniweb's specific needs. Of course it follows similar forum behaviors like forums, threads, and posts, so the feel will be very similar.

Member Avatar for diafol

That's brilliant. I don't want to think of how much coding that's taken! Sorry, this may be slightly off-topic, but when can we expect to see the new version?
Will it be released as a BB (open source or commercial) or kept private?

> when can we expect to see the new version?
We were planning on going live this FRIDAY, but it is looking more like it will be this SATURDAY. Coding began the last few days of November and I'm wrapping it up now.

> Will it be released as a BB (open source or commercial) or kept private?
It will be kept private because it is just incredibly tailored to our specific needs. A lot of DaniWeb-specific things are hard-coded (for speed purposes). Additionally, it is so custom tailored that it wouldn't really be practical for other sites to use it.

commented: Can't wait ;) +0
Member Avatar for diafol

That's great Dani, thanks. Will look forward to it. Particularly interested in the markdown editor.

That's great Dani, thanks. Will look forward to it. Particularly interested in the markdown editor.

So now that you see it firsthand, what do you think?

it's cough almost as good as Google ;)

I like the new editor, with the exception of quoting, which I hate.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.