Member Avatar for diafol

Just wondering if it's possible to disable the editor's live changes - i.e. stopping the bold type etc appearing when you place the stars. In other words, just have a plain textbox. I've already dispensed with the live preview and the toolbar via css, but the live editor has me foxed.

Screenshot_114

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

We could probably do it dynamically with a profile setting, but I think Dani is very much against plain text in the editor given that its highlighting capabilities are one of the primary reasons we chose it.

Is there anything broken with the highlighting such that you want to turn it off (I can try to fix bugs), or do you just not like it?

He just wants to play with client-side browser scripts (a la Greasemonkey) to get rid of it.

You need to completely remove the following snippet of code if you want to revert back to a standard text editor:

<script type="text/javascript"> <!--
var myEditordani<THIS IS GOING TO BE SOMETHING RANDOM> = CodeMirror.fromTextArea($('#dani<THIS IS GOING TO BE THE SAME SOMETHING RANDOM>').find('textarea[name="message"]').get(0),
    {
        mode: 'markdown',
        lineWrapping: true,
        tabSize: 4,
        indentUnit: 4,
        matchBrackets: false,
        keyMap: "daniweb"
    }
);
//--> </script>

If you want to keep the editor (which is tab-aware, etc), but just not have the color highlighting, just change the line mode: 'markdown', to mode: '',.

Member Avatar for diafol

or do you just not like it?

I've grown to dislike it. No offence - I just like plain text - like my Android HTC offers me.

@Dani - that's great! As I mentioned in another thread - the csrf was beating me. I shall have a go with TamperMonkey/Chrome. Thanks again.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.