Recommended Answers

All 20 Replies

Believe we had an article on this a while ago, could be mistaken, might have been off-hand discussion.

And I also hate excessive Boost usage on all sorts of unnecessary things already in the STL or even plain C.

Wow, nasty language there!
However, C++ is the livelihood of quite a few people. Many of them enjoy the challenge it brings.

Here's an interesting rebuttal.

http://warp.povusers.org/OpenLetters/ResponseToTorvalds.html

From the article: "he seems to suffer from what I call the "C-hacker syndrome".

Now there's a suprise! Who would have thought that the writer of the linux-kernel is a low-level-c-hacker :)

C++ is my language of choice, with Java second. The language I dislike since "hate" is such a strong word would be VB. It just takes longer to write an application.

C++ is my language of choice, with Java second. The language I dislike since "hate" is such a strong word would be VB. It just takes longer to write an application.

I agree with you there, VB in my opinion goes overboard with simplicity, removing line breaks, brackets, and curly braces (usually replacing them with lengthy words), for me that makes it hard to tell apart code blocks and scopes making stuff even more confusing.

But I guess everybody has their own preferences.

Yeah i still like python even though it has no brackets and curly braces. But there really is something nice about languages like C/C++ and Java with their very explicit syntax.

Whiny babies, this thread isn't low-level enough.

00401000 6AF5
00401002 E825000000 [GetStdHandle]
00401007 A300304000
0040100C 6A00  
0040100E 6804304000
00401013 6A18
00401015 6808304000
0040101A FF3500304000
00401020 E80D000000 [WriteConsoleA]
00401025 6A00
00401027 E80C000000 [ExitProcess]
00403008 6C726E3261736D0C1000

I like C++. C# annoys me. Java is OK. Better than c++ for some things. After using c-type langs, VB makes me want to cry.

People in that link are missing the bigger picture. "Pure C as opposed to C++. No idea why. ". Thats because linus likes C more than c++. Its what he is faimilar with. Thats why the kernel is in C.

For the most part, I have a lot of respect for Mr. Torvalds for what he's done for FOSS and the OS and development worlds, but this post makes him seem nothing more than a kid who's throwing a temper tantrum because he didn't get his way.

C# annoys me.

Could you elaborate on that?
I have the same feeling with VB, but I cannot tell exactly why that is.
I even did some programming in it.;)
I am beginning to believe that with programming languages it is the same as with food, people, cars... You either like them or you don't.

Could you elaborate on that?
I have the same feeling with VB, but I cannot tell exactly why that is.
I even did some programming in it.
I am beginning to believe that with programming languages it is the same as with food, people, cars... You either like them or you don't.

Yep, I've been forced to do VB in college, I really don't like it.
One of my favourite languages is Flash Actionscript 2.0, its syntax is very similar to C++/Java, and it's extremely flexible and easy to use.

Yep, I've been forced to do VB in college, I really don't like it.
One of my favourite languages is Flash Actionscript 2.0, its syntax is very similar to C++/Java, and it's extremely flexible and easy to use.

There are entire hospital management systems written in vb, and sold for big bucks.

commented: Big deal. there are entire ______ managment systems written entirely in _______ and sold for big bucks. +0

There are entire hospital management systems written in vb, and sold for big bucks.

I don't deny that, I just dislike the language :P

The NHS IT system has cost 12.4 billion so far (up to 20 billion expected total) and is CRAP.

I did a year of VB in college and on top of that an internship. That is why I strongly prefer other programming languages. I run Ubuntu and Windows and hold about equal respect for both Linus and Bill, probably more so for Linus for adopting open source technology.

commented: I just talked to Bill. He said that he and Linus send you much respect. Word. +0

I like C++. C# annoys me. Java is OK. Better than c++ for some things. After using c-type langs, VB makes me want to cry.

People in that link are missing the bigger picture. "Pure C as opposed to C++. No idea why. ". Thats because linus likes C more than c++. Its what he is faimilar with. Thats why the kernel is in C.

What annoys me with C# is all the typing!

What annoys me with C# is all the typing!

In my experience, most programming-languages involve typing :)

In my experience, most programming-languages involve typing :)

Hehehe, very funny! I think C# takes at least 10 times more typing than C.

I think C# takes at least 10 times more typing than C.

If you use NotePad as editor I will not deny your statement.
But I use the editor of Visual Studio to write C#. It has snippets and intellisense, allowing me to type C# code 10 times faster than you can type C code.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.