Hey everyone! =)

I'm starting an Application Development club at my college!

However, there are a fair amount of programmers with multiple backgrounds who want to be a part of the club and partake in some of the Software we will create.

Most of the people who are joining the club know C++, PHP, HTML, Java and MySQL/Oracle.

Bridging the gap between the Database-heavy individuals and Java will be a breeze. Bridging databases with C++ will also be a breeze. HTML-to-database communication can also be done.

Communicating between HTML and Java is easy, but communicating between C++ and HTML apparently is no walk in the park.

I've done some research, and found a few libraries that support C++ to HTML communication (via C++ Servlet containers), and found libraries such as SWILL (which has limitations on concurrency and is considered unsafe) and C++ES (which happens to be an individuals Master's Thesis O_O ), but I'd like to know if there is some kind of Boost implementation of a C++ Servlet container, or if there's any practical way for interfacing C++ with web-based applications?

I'd just like to be steered into the right direction =). I don't want anyone who joins the club to feel left out and unable to really contribute to a project.

Of course we're going to start with very simple applications that are very useful (i.e., a convenient collection of information or tools for Students in a class to use when given a lesson by a particular instructor, or possibly a calculator for equations (though it is probably already done, it will be custom made by individuals in our club and have our club logo as well as the college we're affiliated with... etc)). We'll build our reputation and knowledge base as we progress =)

So what would be an ideal approach for the main problem? Bridging the gap between C++ and HTML?

Thank you!

-Alex

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I think that one of the most promising C++/web technologies is FastCGI. Look at
http://cryp.to/publications/fastcgi/
FastCGI combines the C++ power and comfort programming environment with extremely fast reactiveness and scalability...

commented: Nice link! =) +4

I've done some research, and found a few libraries that support C++ to HTML communication (via C++ Servlet containers),

or if there's any practical way for interfacing C++ with web-based applications?

What is impractical about C++ Servlet Containers?
I think it's the best way to write C++ based web apps.
Take for example CPPSERV. It has very Java-like API, as well as CSP (C++ Server Pages) support.

The other alternative is FastCGI. It has advantage of being standard, although it has disadvantage of not being true
application server, and thus forcing programmer to implement some basic services (like managing distributed services, sharing session data between requests, etc.), which users of servlet containers take for granted (and which are implemented more efficiently in servlet containers).

As for boost servlet containers - there isn't one yet. Maybe one day one of the existing ones will get there. Or at least APIs from one could (there is lot of room for doing different API-compatible implementations, targeted at different audiences).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.