There's some rhumors over here USA tabloids that Price William, not his father, will become the next King. Any truth to that?

Recommended Answers

All 21 Replies

I know you yanks like spelling English words differently, but seriously, it's "Throne", not thrown (which is the past participle of throw).

"Tabloids" and "rumours" - yep, seems about right.

commented: Thank you for clarifying "thrown" for me -- I couldn't make sense out of it. :P +0
commented: What's rhumour mean? +0
commented: Yup -- a spelling misstake +0

Sounds the same to me. lol

"Rumour" is spelled rumor in the U.S. :p

If the Queen lives much longer she may survive prince Charles :)

What if the Queen is overthrone beforehand? Hmmm?

What if the Queen is overthrone beforehand? Hmmm?

Is she a drinker? Maybe she'll be underthrone.

Does that mean she threw her throw towards the little prince?
Wonder who the next Queen will be?

Does that mean she threw her throw towards the little prince?
Wonder who the next Queen will be?

I certainly hope it is NOT Charles's wife -- she is such an ugly (female dog). There was a picture of William's girl in the tabloid and she is a very good looking woman, one that might be worthy to be Queen.

I certainly hope it is NOT Charles's wife -- she is such an ugly (female dog). There was a picture of William's girl in the tabloid and she is a very good looking woman, one that might be worthy to be Queen.

It is pretty much a given that the Queen will hold onto the throne for as long as possible to keep Prince Charles off it :D

I don't think many people in the UK think the idea of Charles as King is a good one :P

Intellect is more important than looks, imo. Not that Camilla has much of that...

Is it not true that the queen isn't the one who has the most power? I live in the USA, but I believe the Prime Minister has more power than the Queen now a days. I'm posting this, because I don't understand the importance of who is queen, if the position isn't very powerful any more.

Is it not true that the queen isn't the one who has the most power? I live in the USA, but I believe the Prime Minister has more power than the Queen now a days. I'm posting this, because I don't understand the importance of who is queen, if the position isn't very powerful any more.

Yes that is true. If you want to know exactly what power the Queen has, use google.

afaik though the Queen has ultimate power. She can veto any law if She so wishes for example.

Don't know about vetoing laws, but she can dissolve parliament and schedule a new election. Office of the PM evolved before USA had its tea party and tossed the Brits out of our country. BTW it was Queen Elizabeth II who formally declared the USA an independent country. I don't recall when it was but I do remember seeing it on tv.

Yes, the Queen can dissolve the government and also can refuse legislation from being passed, however this is unlikely to happen.

In reality the Queen /can/ do these things but due to the controversy that would occur if she were to do so, I doubt it will happen any time soon.

Take a look at this for more information:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_monarchy

True, She is unlikely to do so. But by having that power, She can (and in some countries in the recent past this has happened) can cause parliament to reconsider a controversial law, and in extreme cases prevent laws from being passed that would be harmful to the democracy (say parliament passes a law that dissolves democracy, gives themselves total power over the country with no say of the people, something that's effectively the case already but not written down of course, the Queen would almost certainly veto that law and dissolve parliament, maybe have the entire bunch of lunatics finally arrested and tried for high treason like they should have been years ago).

That's her main authority, keeping parliament/cabinet from becoming a real rather than a de-factor dictatorship.

BTW it was Queen Elizabeth II who formally declared the USA an independent country. I don't recall when it was but I do remember seeing it on tv.

Must not have been too long ago, if they had tv at the time. Either that or you (and tv) are older than I thought.

I might have been mistaken about that. Using google I found this news item

Britain revokes U.S. independence
Catholic New Times, Jan 16, 2005

In a shocking move, the British House of Lords recently revoked American independence: the U.S. says it will appeal to the International Criminal Court, if and when it recognizes it. The following is a letter from the British House.

To the citizens of the United States of America,

In the light of your failure to elect a suitable President of the U.S. and thus to govern yourselves, we hereby give notice of the revocation of your independence, effective today. Her Sovereign Majesty Queen Elizabeth II will resume monarchical duties over all states, commonwealths and other territories, except Utah, which she does not fancy.

Your new prime minister, The Right Honourable Tony Blair, MP will appoint a Minister for America without the need for further elections. Congress and the Senate will be disbanded. A questionnaire will be circulated next year to determine whether any of you noticed. To aid in the transition to a British Crown Dependency, the following rules are introduced with immediate effect:

1. You should look up "revocation" in the Oxford English Dictionary. Then look up "aluminium." Check the pronunciation guide. You will be amazed at just how wrongly you have been pronouncing it. The letter 'U' will be reinstated in words such as 'favour' and 'neighbour,' skipping the letter 'U' is nothing more than laziness on your part.

2. There is no such thing as "U.S.English." We will let Microsoft know on your behalf. The Microsoft spell-checker will be adjusted to take account of the reinstated letter 'u' and the elimination of "-ize."

Well, crap. Oh well. I for one welcome our new British overlords.

lol, this is how American I am. I did not even realize that Queen Elizabeth II is the name of the current queen. (thanks, Google)

But Google didn't help me find whether it is true that she's the one who officially declared the US independent. The closest thing I could find was this, and according to the last line in that article, the US was officially acknowledged as independent from Great Britain (by them) in 1783.

Member Avatar for diafol

OK as someone who doesn't give fig about the Royals, please please please let Charlie Boy become King. We wouldn't have to suffer the indignity of having an Englishman (or is that German / Greek etc) as a Prince of Wales. The last proper one snuffed it over 700 years ago. Hopefully Wilhelm and Heinrich will disown the 'Wales' thing altogether. Ah, to dream of freedom!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.