I just wanted to get some input on this. I mean we all know that the big U.S. companies have discovered it is much cheaper to outsource help desk/tech support jobs to other countries. Whether it be India or Germany, the jobs are definitely leaving the United States. I'm pretty sure that this is an international community, so does anyone have any idea how much cheaper it is per individual or hourly based wage for companies to outsource to other countries for tech support? My computer science friends have told me that this is something that is happening in their field as well. Is everyone else just willing to work for less? Or do they pick things up faster. It kind of stinks for the people in the U.S. This seems like a good topic for discussion, so I'll leave the rest to you.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Well I belive instead of outsource, they (US companies) should take good guy. It will be more fruitfull for long run. To go for cheaper, and made the goodwill in wrong direction should not healthy for any company. It will be better to utlized productive people with high rate. It also be better for them to sponsor good candidate. Few people inteligent people...

It think the cost will be 5-7 times cheaper is those countries.

What other says?

By the way...Wish you all a very very Happy New year 2006.

Cheers!
Populate

Its not just in the USA this is happening, its everywhere.

Its a real shame, as its no longer ideal to go to University as you are not likely to get a job unless you go and live in India.

Its sad really.

This is not true in india as well. since I have been looking for a job in india and did not get one. There are million jobs and 10 million candidates. And more over india is being taken over by chinese, philipinos etc. Its same everywhere.

This will go on unless and untill the difference between dollar and Rupee will remain. The momnet the values become equal, really noone in India will work in so less wages. Its only that the dollars get converted into rupees to make a good amount that the people in India are actually benifiting.

Vijeta

I really don't care. If they want crappy work, then they can outsource it. Indians will work for dirt, but it takes 20 of them to do what one well paid American, Japenese, Canadian, or other person can do. It's not that they can pick it up quicker, they can't. It's all about the dough. The companies that are serious and want good work don't outsource. That doesn't mean you can't outsource some things. Half the tech support I've dealt with from India simply send back canned responses and can't speak english. That's what I find sad.

There are a LOT of very clever people coming out of the Indian educational system.

Intel, Fujitsu, Microsoft, Candence, AMD and Oracle are investing in R&D centres out there. Its not just cheap labour - its cheap well-educated labour.

I doubt it will be cheap for long.

its now 2010 and it seems as though outsourcing of IT is in full swing. IT in general seems to be a huge overhead operating expense that the mentality is to outsource it as quickly as possible. I work as a Sr.Tech.Analyst for a large US/International company and they are definitely outsourcing IT overseas, as much as they possibly can- I survived 3 rounds of layoffs in the past 2yrs, but dont think Im going to make it through the next few- Numbers I'v heard bu cant confirm, avrge.us.IT helpdesk staff sal. 40k to start, outsourced to india, 10k
anything requiring "hands on" will eventually be outsourced to 3rd party companys like the geeksquad, if they can get their crap steraight- such a bummer- have invested so much into a career that is headed overseas-
d

Lol - outsourcing to geek squad?? First that is an American company associated with Best Buy, second it doesn't even require a college degree to work there.

offshoring is actually slowing down considerably and companies are even starting to abandon their offshoring operations now that they're finding out that it costs more than the benefits.
Those Indians (or others) might only cost 1/4 of what an American or European does, but they're only 20% as efficient, leading to actual cost of developing a product being higher when using them.

That's of course averages, but turns out to be largely true from all experience I've had with offshored teams directly and indirectly (especially offshoring to south and east Asia, eastern Europe is somewhat better).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.