Hi,

Can any one please tell me as how the tv channels count the number of viewers for a certain program as we often hear that xyz program was watched by xyx number of people. I am sorry as I am a bit curious. Apolozies if this is not the right place to ask this question. Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Hi,

Can any one please tell me as how the tv channels count the number of viewers for a certain program as we often hear that xyz program was watched by xyx number of people. I am sorry as I am a bit curious. Apolozies if this is not the right place to ask this question. Thanks.

Nielsen Ratings; from what I have heard\ been told, American viewers are asked to place a "box" of sorts in connection to their television sets. They may be paid to do so. This monitors and records what they watch and the resulting data is reported back and compiled. This device (box) is reportedly spread across all demographics of the U.S. as to provide a wide data pool for study.

**Just found this:
http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/question433.htm

Nielsen Ratings; from what I have heard\ been told, American viewers are asked to place a "box" of sorts in connection to their television sets. They may be paid to do so. This monitors and records what they watch and the resulting data is reported back and compiled. This device (box) is reportedly spread across all demographics of the U.S. as to provide a wide data pool for study.

**Just found this:
http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/question433.htm

Thanks for the reply. Interesting info.

That's one way. Another way is phone polls.
Interviewers phone a number of people, asking them what they've got on TV, and extrapolate from that.
In the past they used to send out questionaires for people to fill out, asking them to keep track themselves and send in a piece of paper once in a while.

Like all polls, these things are only as good as the people ordering them. If they want to show something, the poll can always be designed to show it...

That's one way. Another way is phone polls.
Interviewers phone a number of people, asking them what they've got on TV, and extrapolate from that.
In the past they used to send out questionaires for people to fill out, asking them to keep track themselves and send in a piece of paper once in a while.

Like all polls, these things are only as good as the people ordering them. If they want to show something, the poll can always be designed to show it...

Excellent, thanks again mate...

Nielson rating do an extensive study of demographics and those boxes are placed in 1200-2000 homes based on their findings. These boxes give us the alleged number of people watching a program at any given time.

In addition they send out log books for people to keep track of their watching habits. This is added to the instant readings for a more accurate rating system.

Nielson rating do an extensive study of demographics and those boxes are placed in 1200-2000 homes based on their findings. These boxes give us the alleged number of people watching a program at any given time.

In addition they send out log books for people to keep track of their watching habits. This is added to the instant readings for a more accurate rating system.

Thanks for the info. Appreciated....

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.