The last song count on my IPod was 126. Mostly classic rock and classic jazz.

4500 Songs

Depends on where you are loading from. I have 2 TB full of music (142000 songs) and another 1 TB full of videos (91000 videos) including kareoke songs. I tend to change my playlist as I go along. :)

And not even one piece of (c)rap.

And not even one piece of (c)rap.

Jim, you must be good at finding music then?

I have 0 songs in my iTunes, i use spotify :)

I have a wide field of musical interests. However, it completely excludes rap. Jazz and Country are only barely represented.

Don't worry Jim, I also hate rap... it is crap and most of the time the words don't make any sense and if it does make sense nobody will listen to it.

Can anyone explain to me why it is illegal for me to download (or share) an mp3 via bittorrent when that same mp3 is freely available through youtube?

Do you mean when the artist or recording company put a video on youtube? I don't know the answer to your, question specifically, but I wonder if it is down to permission?

Can anyone explain to me why it is illegal for me to download (or share) an mp3 via bittorrent when that same mp3 is freely available through youtube?

Technically, downloading anything with audio is not illegal because it always found anywhere... but what makes it illegal is sharing the file, as far as I am aware of.

I heard it is illegal to convert YouTube to mp3 most likely because YouTube has a license to use those videos.

My hard drive died ages ago and I havent put my music back on the new one, I just listen to music on 8tracks or YouTube.

Jack Johnson, Ben Howard, King Charles, Mumford and Sons, Eletric Swing and a bit of Funky House, old school HipHop or something with horrible bass are all I listen to right now and it's all streamable on the net!.

For a second I thought you meant you listen to music on 8 Track. Does anyone even remember what an 8-Track tape is?

I can't see how that is in any way enforceable. Unfortunately, faced with outrageous legal costs to defend against a charge I can see most people settling out of court.

AncientDragon: how can youtube have a license to those videos? it's the user who upload them, that control what video's they put online, not youtube. they'll only delete the video's when a complaint has been filed and they feel urged to follow up on it.

<Michael>

Technically, downloading anything with audio is not illegal because it always found anywhere... but what makes it illegal is sharing the file, as far as I am aware of.

ehm ... you can find Windows everywhere too, but downloading it is still illegal. a lot of it depends on the laws of the country you're in. In some countries downloading itself isn't illegal, in some it is.

take Belgian law, for instance: I am legally allowed to have a copy of an original CD/DVD I own(ed) as a backup, yet using the tools to create those might be illegal, downloading a backup would also be considered illegal.

for songs, they have found this "brilliant" way to rip the consumer off. you pay copyrights when you legally buy an mp3, you pay copyrights when you buy empty CD's/DVD's, ...
so, basically, even if we download our mp3's illegaly, and we want to burn them, we'll still have paid copyrights. but, what is worse, let's say you are a musician, you record a song you wrote, you plaid and sung, and you want to put that on a CD, you'll even be paying copyrights for that.

burning legally purchased mp3's on a cd, well, you might as well have bought the original CD I guess, that way you only pay copyrights one time.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.