Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Yeah, that's pretty screwed up, but unfortunately it's not surprising. I wonder if it's just a recent thing or if they have been picking on cover bands like this for years? I thought artistic license was given to such things as "interpretations" or whatever.

Well, I guess this has been around a long time. I never knew license fees like this were expected, but then I have never worked in an establishment with live music. Found a lot more info and discussion here:
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/07/08/1836256

I don't understand why the bussiness has to pay the money for royalties on songs performed by hired musicians.

Seems to me that music companies are at the point where they can't go after people downloading music so they are going after silly little things. Next they will be demanding royalties for when you sing a song around the camp fire.

I think the music companies should be ashamed of themself. Yes they need to be making a profit in order to keep going but you can't seriously tell me that they are losing money from people playing their artists songs in coffee houses and bars. I challenge the record comapanies to find me a musician who cares if their song gets played live in a bar or coffee house.

I don't understand why the bussiness has to pay the money for royalties on songs performed by hired musicians.

Because otherwise the music industry legalisms team would have to find honest jobs.

Seems to me that music companies are at the point where they can't go after people downloading music so they are going after silly little things. Next they will be demanding royalties for when you sing a song around the camp fire.

SSHHH!! Don't give them any ideas!

I think the music companies should be ashamed of themself. Yes they need to be making a profit in order to keep going but you can't seriously tell me that they are losing money from people playing their artists songs in coffee houses and bars. I challenge the record comapanies to find me a musician who cares if their song gets played live in a bar or coffee house.

I'd think the extra exposure of the song might have an additive effect on sales...

"Hey, this CD has that song the guy was singing last night! I'll take it."

I'd think the extra exposure of the song might have an additive effect on sales...

"Hey, this CD has that song the guy was singing last night! I'll take it."

More likely: "Hey look I just found that song the guy was singing last night on iTunes! I'll dl that right away!"

The biggest excuse the music industry has used to justify it's actions against the people has been the continuous drop in CD sales, which interestingly has a direct correlation with increasing usage of single song download services.

I see this as the music industry's attempt at compensation for people no longer having to buy 12 other songs on a CD to get the one song they want. Still, I don't support these methods the music industry uses to increase it's revenue.

I just wonder if people who blast thier radios in thier cars will be affected as well!

:(

It's not live, so they might not. But again, don't go giving the music industry any ideas!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.