Has anyone had a bad experience with Dell?
I always thought they were really awesome and wouldn't bye anything else untill now. We bought 2 laptops of the same kind (600m inspiron) about 1 year and 4 months ago. I loved my laptop and had no problems with it. Right around the time the warranty was to end the screen went bad...No big deal. A Dell rep was at my house the next day replacing the thing with no questions ask. But after my warranty died it seemed like everything just went bad. First of all, I had never really used my CD drive because I had one of those USB flash memories. To save time the cd drive didn't read correctly or had something wrong, so I emailed them and got NO reply back...That was 3 months ago.(gave up) Not to long ago my hard drive started working slower and slower, and finally it just stoped working completely. I contacted them immediately and they simply said they wouldn't do anything about it since the warranty ended.

I called them and told my story....Some dude said he would dispatch an email about contacting some warranty office, but he never did.
Anyways, I just think this is a bunch of crap. It's obvious there's something wrong with their design or something. I would think a laptop is able to last at least 2-3 years(my brothers gateway is still going after 4). I also would think they should fix their systems that they load with crappy hardware. I don't have any money. I'm still paying my parents for this one, and now I'm faced with getting a new(can't) and there's no way I'm buying a new harddrive for this piece of junk. I haven't even explained the problems I've had with overheating. The weird thing is the second laptop is working fine....Never hard a problem with it.

Recommended Answers

All 30 Replies

Just sounds like it might be defective, since your other system was fine. I've heard things about Dell laptops with mice that move themselves. If the CD drive is bad, it costs a few hundred to get a new one, better than replacing the entire laptop.

I've found Best Buy to have Toshiba's for around $650 US after rebates. Been using a Toshiba for over a year and love it.

I've been looking around and I'm definately not the only one having problems. I'm finding stuff all over the internet about Dell. We just called again today and some manager is suppose to call tommorow. If it's not still not resolved, there are a few lawyers accepting cases against Dell for free and I'll be happy to contact them.

Why contact a lawyer? Did you buy the extended warranty?

Not playing Devil's Advocate, but that's why they offer warranties. Your screen died, and their CD-ROM is busted. Those are 2 unrelated components-- how is that a defect, or a design flaw? If they'd have bought the warranty, I'm sure that a drive would have been shipped your way, no problem. Cheap hardware, sure, maybe, but that's how they get such low prices, I'll bet.

Lesson of the day: Buy the extended warranty on things like laptops. 75% of hardware failures occur in that 3-4 year period of ownership, or something like that-- that's why they offer them!

You sure the cd rom lens isnt dirty?

No comments about the hard drive

As Alex said, you get what you pay for.
Had they opted for extended warranty the things would have been repaired under warranty. They didn't, which was their own choice, so they have to foot the bill.

I know of only one company that ever deliberately designed a system to fail shortly after warranty expired (or so went the rumour at the time, as almost every machine of that model failed within a month of the warranty expiring, which was more than random chance would allow for), and they got seriously burned over it.

Personally I don't usually go for extended warranty myself, but on a laptop with its expensive to replace parts I would.
Most things either fail rapidly or don't fail until the economic life of the device is long over after all.

Extended warranty is expensive. All it's doing is paying for the problems ahead of time.

75% of hardware failures occur in that 3-4 year period of ownership, or something like that-- that's why they offer them!

3-4 years? Mine's not even 1 and a half years old! If I could have got 3 years out of the crap I wouldn't mad. 1600 bucks for something that only lasts barely over a year is not right.

I work tech support for an electrical engineering company and over the last few years we have switched from Tosiba and Gateway to almost all Dell laptops for employees. I am very impressed with their service while the warranty is in place. (Barring a bizarre event where one guy went through 4 motherboards in 2 months, but they kept replacing them without giving me too much crap) :D

Honestly, I hope your wrong about the long term life of the machines, we buy 3 year support on all our machines, but I'd like to see them last a tad longer. I'll let you know how things are going in about 1 1/2 years. ;)

P.S.- If your mouse takes off by itself (in response to earlier post), update your point stick and mouse drivers and if that doesnt work disable the point stick and see if that stops it (it usually does), if so take off the keyboard and fiddle with it, then give up and have a dell tech replace the keyboard AND the palm rest just to be safe.

Always found their tech support was excellent

While it was under warranty the tech support was unbeatable, but just last night one of their very non-understandable indian managers told me it wasn't their problem.

Extended warranty is expensive. All it's doing is paying for the problems ahead of time.

Not really. It's statistics. You can look at it with your viewpoint, but I prefer to look at it this way-- take your LCD panel for instance. Those things cost around $300-- if your warranty cost any less than $300, you saved money by opting for that. If you even had one costly repair like that within warranty, you paid

A CD-ROM, on the other hand, might be cheaper just to order a new one from Dell. So, it might not be worth your while. It's all about probability, and whether you think that it's a wise investment.

3-4 years? Mine's not even 1 and a half years old! If I could have got 3 years out of the crap I wouldn't mad. 1600 bucks for something that only lasts barely over a year is not right.

Stuff breaks-- that's why we have warranties. The simple fact is that after the first year, stuff starts breaking. 4 years, 3 years, 2 years, it doesn't matter. If you want to ensure your computer stays working for its 3-4 year "life", it's best to get the extended warranty.

i dont prefer dell in anyway-the case designs cn be dodgy

the servers are damn good and reliable though i must admit

While it was under warranty the tech support was unbeatable, but just last night one of their very non-understandable indian managers told me it wasn't their problem.

And it isn't. More precisely it isn't their problem that your system needs repairs after the warranty expired and you think it's too expensive.
It's your choice, pay to have it repaired or replace the thing. Whichever, it's not their problem.

If you decide you want it repaired and are willing to pay for it, it then becomes their problem to arrange for that repair in cooperation with you (getting you a tracking number, shipping details, etc.).

I think it is their problem. Something that expensive just doesn't tear up in that short amount of time.

I think it is their problem. Something that expensive just doesn't tear up in that short amount of time.

I think it's pretty obvious you're not going to change your mind about it, but you have to consider this: You're paying for the design of the unit. You're paying for Intel's chipset. You're paying for an LCD screen, etc.

You have not accepted the well-known fact that computer hardware, no matter how old, how new, will break. Ever heard of MTBF? Mean Time Between Failure? Basically, a manufacturer takes a certain number of components, and they run them for a specified period of time. I'm not sure of the exact formula, but essentially, manufacturers take that number of drives, and they calculate how many failed in that period of time, and they're able to provide a MTBF estimate for manufacturers. Entire consumer goods, like TVs, computers, etc, have an overall MTBF, and manufacturers look at things like that.

Manufacturers realize things break-- that's why they offer Extended Warranties. It's always a Win situation for the Manufacturer, but it's a crap-shoot for the consumer; If I get this and never need it, I've wasted money. But, if I don't have it when I need it, I'm SOL.

I've worked with computers for a number of years, and I've issued my fair share of warranty repairs, as well as redeemed a fair few of my own. I'm not going to disagree with you about how it sucks when a part goes out-- I can empathize with you there. But, what I wish more people would do is enlighten themselves with the fact that technology breaks. It breaks easily, it breaks often. Everyone has anecdotes about that one system they had that was a workhorse, and never broke, but for the most part, stuff breaks, and it will need to be fixed. If you take this enlightened approach, you will see that an extended warranty for something like this isn't a waste of money; In fact, you'll realize that if you're offered the warranty, and you do not exercise wise judgement in what level of security with your device you can stand, then it's your fault when you're outside of that warranty period, and you're not covered because you thought it was just another attempt for them to get your money.

I'm an IT Consultant/Technician and I like Dell systems a lot. I like that its easy for me to configure what I want on their web site and that I can get a nice warranty, and estimates on a lease rate.

I've seen many Dell's without a single problem, and many with problems. But that's why they offer a warranty. I always tell EVERYBODY to go with a 3 YEAR Warranty because that's what I expect the life of the machine to be and that will keep them covered. Outside of that period the manufacturer has no responsibility in my view, other than to sell you a replacement part (which in some cases they won't offer to do).

I currently have a Dell Latitude D610 and think its a great laptop, despite the trouble I had just 5 days into having it. My DVD-RW drive would read and write DVDs but not CDs, odd I know. But I troubleshot it a bit myself, then called Dell, they sent out a new one. But then that's why I purchased a 3 year warranty and their complete care.

YES the Complete Care warranty is just another money grab from Dell BUT I sleep at night knowing that if I spill coffee on my laptop (which could easily happen) Dell will be out the next day to fix it for the 3 year period! I've not found any other manufacturer willing to send someone out the very next day to fix a problem with a computer.

All the other manufacturers I've dealt with have you ship it back to their central office or make you wait a month for the part. In business, that's not gonna fly. With Dell the next day they have the part or a technician at your door, and I've experienced it first hand.

Dell do have some kinks to work out, but who doesn't! My suggestion to clients is buy Dell's business class systems such as the latitude and optiplex with at least a 3 year warranty and then plan to replace it in 3 years.

I've learnt from my mistakes. Get home contents insurance then if your laptop goes badly wrong (out of warranty), accidently drop it down your stairs or get your dog to piss all over it and you get a nice brand new one from your insurance company no matter how old it is.:twisted::cool::cool::twisted:

accidently drop it down your stairs or get your dog to piss all over it and you get a nice brand new one from your insurance company no matter how old it is.

Hehe, I like it. :)

Well many great points made above including the warranty service tiem frame, you buy the extra time chances are youre doing the best thing possible, i have found my inspiron 6000 to be excellent for the last year with absolute no problems, taking care of a computer is also very helpful. One thing i kinda get pissed at from time to time is that they dont sell inspiron 6000 anymore since about 6 months ago, and knowing i paid over close to 4000 in the end, kinda sucks but none the less, technology is moving faster then we can all afford!!

I'm not paying for the problems before they happen (ie: buying an extended warranty). I learned the hard way not to get a Dell. Now, I build all my computers. I get 5-10 year warranties on everything with any added cost and there's a few things with lifetime warranties. Not only are the parts much better quality for the money, but the machine doesn't severly overheat due to poor design like the laptop.

I got dells and ibms. There basicallly the same as they have virtually no support for older lines.

I'm not paying for the problems before they happen (ie: buying an extended warranty). I learned the hard way not to get a Dell. Now, I build all my computers. I get 5-10 year warranties on everything with any added cost and there's a few things with lifetime warranties. Not only are the parts much better quality for the money, but the machine doesn't severly overheat due to poor design like the laptop.

Uh huh. And you didn't reaize that laptops in general have a much higher failure rate?

That's why you sould have bought the extended warranty on the laptop. Everyone in the know about dell laptops in general knows this. As someone pointed out for you earlier laptops have more heat, smaller parts, dell sometime subsitutes cheaper parts, and besides all that they just flat fail easier. It was your fault for not protecting the laptop.

Uh huh. And you didn't reaize that laptops in general have a much higher failure rate?

That's why you sould have bought the extended warranty on the laptop. Everyone in the know about dell laptops in general knows this. As someone pointed out for you earlier laptops have more heat, smaller parts, dell sometime subsitutes cheaper parts, and besides all that they just flat fail easier. It was your fault for not protecting the laptop.

Yes, it is my fault the laptop died in less than a year.... You know, it's just a general concept that you buy a new laptop every 90 days...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

PS: This thread is like 9 months old?

Doesn't matter, I had a feeling you were a flake and all it tool was a simple post search - and it was as plain as day to see. You made a bafoon out of yourself in another thread so i wasnted to see for myself. 9 months or not this thread, as does the other one shows utter hardware incompetance and igonorance.

Doesn't matter, I had a feeling you were a flake and all it took was a simple post search - and it was as plain as day to see. You made a bafoon out of yourself in another thread so i wanted to see for myself. 9 months or not, this thread as does the other one shows hardware igonorance.

Doesn't matter, I had a feeling you were a flake and all it took was a simple post search - and it was as plain as day to see. You made a bafoon out of yourself in another thread so i wanted to see for myself. 9 months or not, this thread as does the other one shows hardware igonorance.

Really? Seems like you're the one making a retard out of yourself. Kind of weird you own a shop doing this sort of thing when you have no clue what you're talking about..... Not that building or fixing a computer requires ANY special knowledge at all.

as does the other one shows hardware igonorance

Hmm... That's about the exact same thing I told you. Can you not come up with anything on your own?

PS: Do the computers you build last less than a year? How about your warranties? Are they as good as mine? (5-10-lifetime without any extra cost)

I like dell they seem like a great company only one problem though I brought a router from them and it does not work I am sending it back for replacement. Overall they have quality service and I have used them for every computer I have brought.

There's no doubt about their service... Their tech support (under warranty) is the best around compared to businesses of every type.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.