As you all know, The NFL debut in London was this Sunday. http://uk.news.yahoo.com/afp/20071028/tuk-amfoot-nfl-dolphins-giants-b5b5cc4_2.html

Apparently, there was a great turn out of 80,000+ people at Wembley.
What do yall think? Will football catch on in Europe? Those of you who are British, do you think it went well?

Recommended Answers

All 34 Replies

It has been tried before. We even had our own team, the London Monarchs (I used to drink in the same bar with them) and it never caught on.

Of course, I would take issue with one small matter: football is already huge in Europe... :)

commented: haha.. I was talking about REAL football :P +12

A million people wanted tickets apparently

the new wembley is well nice.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell is determined to turn the sport into a global game and he will be encouraged by the crowd's enthusiastic response to their ground-breaking initiative.

I suspect the large turnout was because it was a novalty. American football in europe would probably be as popular as european football is here.

I think all the sports nuts over there are already tight up with soccer, cricket, and hockey. No money and TV time left for football.

I couldn't see it kicking off.
The sports which are popular here have had a long time to sink their talons into the hearts of their fans. American football... may be a passing fad but no more than that, in my opinion.

I don't know about European TV, but in the USA the TV programs are so boring and dull that football games are actually the most exciting thing to watch on the tele. That is the big money maker here for the sports clubs.

I like to watch the ads more than anything else, some of them made for the football fans are really funny!

Yeah.. the thing about football, real football, is that it's exciting! lol.. I've played soccer, baseball, football, basketball. I've also watched a lot of different sports.. and in my opinion, baseball was the most boring.. the game is so long and drawn out.. soccer is also boring.. basketball and football are the most exciting :) There isn't a moment that isn't eventful in football.. in MY opinion. But of course, it is probably just differences in environments between the U.S. and Europe. I think if yall gave it a chance, you'd enjoy it.

See I think football is silly (probably cause I've not watched it much), but I think Rugby is fantastic! Now I'm not saying every game is excellent (it can be tempremental like them all), but the majority of the games I'd watch are worth it.

Yeah, maybe if you gave it a chance and watched it more!! ;) Rugby is very similar to American football.. just more ballsy lol

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Put simply people in general find the sports they grew up with entertaining. I'm sure if I grew up in the US and A, I might like American football.

Football is what I grew up with, so that's what I like watching. I find it very difficult to see American football taking off in the uk. It's a different culture here, American football seems totally unrelated. Rugby is far better, but we sure did suck in the world cup :(

Footy is popular on a world scale. Strangely, it appears only America doesn't share the same interest.

american football in europe is ridiculous. In my opinion, football is the most boring sport there is. baseball, however is fun to watch and to play. I think europe's sport is football(soccer) and it'll always be that way.

yeah its soccer (the real football) mainly

Can someone explain the appeal of football(soccer)? For me it's like watching watching ants -- they go this way and that and never really seem to be doing anything.

its exciting to watch if the players are good - also the atmosphere is amazing

I don't know Dave, I don't find it interesting either.
Only thing it's good for is upsetting the fans by making snide remarks about the failure of their favourite teams ;)

I hate football, but I love rugby. That said I hate rugby league, but I love rugby union.

Perhaps because the school I attended was a rugby union playing school so I was brought up on a diet of odd shaped balls and big blokes hitting each other :)

:) not much has changed

i like football but i also like rugby too, but im a scotland fan so the rugby world cup made me cry :(

American Football - NO!

The cheerleaders though WTF! Tack a bunch of barely dressed school / college girls from MIAMI (where the locals freeze when the temperature falls below 70F), then bring them to LONDON (where the locals die of heat exhaustion when water melts). It's a wonder that they survived.

If we had cheerleaders in the UK they would probably be called the Blue T**s or something similar.

I think football used to be more like rugby, but then those liberal elements came around and wanted to protect the players. Now a football player is covered with padding and plastic to a point where you can't recognize the player any longer.

yeah i know wtf do they have helmets ans shoulder pads when rugby players have a shirt and maybe a scrum hat

Member Avatar for iamthwee

yeah i know wtf do they have helmets ans shoulder pads when rugby players have a shirt and maybe a scrum hat

Ha ha good point bennet. Unless they're allowed to tackle above the waist/shoulders. Which is prob not allowed in rugby.

There is a european NFL league is there not?

There is a european NFL league is there not?

If there is money to be made, yes!

It's an American sport, the organisers are afraid to get sued by the players if they don't make darn sure noone gets any bruises when they walk into each other.
Pussies...

Watch the video, man!

These are oversized people moving very fast. Back in the day when the players sold cars in the off-season, they didn't have the levels of protection nor medical attention they have today. It's a family-friendly form of UFC.

Watch the video, man!

These are oversized people moving very fast. Back in the day when the players sold cars in the off-season, they didn't have the levels of protection nor medical attention they have today. It's a family-friendly form of UFC.

That video sure does give such an impression :icon_eek:

Watch the video, man!

Very funny video. Compared to that rugby players are shrimps and move like snails!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.