guineu 0 Newbie Poster

Started a McAfee Manual Scan at 6pm yesterday and went out for the evening. At midnight it was churning about 1/5th of its way through all the files. It had reported two(2) "Items Detected" and two(2) "Items Quarantined." I disconnected my internet connection and went to bed, letting it run. At 8am it had finished about half the files, with no more Detections added.

I'm watching it run now (on another machine) that is old and slow by today's standards. It's a 450mz Pentium-3 with 384mb RAM. However, a full scan of 230,000 files with McAfee has never taken more than 5 hours, which is why I expected it to finish last night by midnight. Task manager shows [avg] 70% cpu for mcods.exe and 30% for mcshell.exe, with 9hrs 33mn and 7hr 40mn TOTAL cpu used thus far, respectively.

I can't wait to run HJT but I'm afraid to interfere with McAfee as I'm [more than] CURIOUS to find out what these 2 "Detections" are!

I reconnected my cable modem to send this - am I on a prudent course with this?
Any bells ringing for anyone?

Thanks,
Guineu

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.