My computer contracted this trojan / worm yesterday. My antivirus caught, or so I thought because the screen pops up and says that I have this trojan. I thought my antivirus had gotten rid of it, but then the trojan/worm took over my computer telling me I need to download some software to get rid of it. I didn't. I turn off the computer, and rebooted it, but the screen flickers and refuse to do anything. I try to run it in safe mode, but I got a Blue screen saying "Windows shut down because of some hardware" and "it is unbootable." I have not added any hardware except for some portable memory drive.

Any suggestion on what I should do? I have an HP running Windows XP. Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

You should post a Hijackthis log so that it can be analysed first.

You should post a Hijackthis log so that it can be analysed first.[/QUOTE

See below.Sorry duplicate post

You should post a Hijackthis log so that it can be analysed first.

I noticed similar cases in this forum but I am not able to try any of the remedies or post any logs because as time moved on, my PC would not turn on and now shuts down just before loading windows. I tried to boot using the safe mode and this gets me a blue screen telling me that windows shut down to prevent damage listing "Unmountable_boot_volume" as a problem. I did notice also that immediately after getting infected, the control panel icon disappeared from my desktop as well as all other access to the control panel. All attempts to boot up no matter what I try are failing.

about the Unmountable_boot_volume,

1.Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

2.When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

3.If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console.

4.When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

5.At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r , and then press ENTER.

6.At the command prompt, type exit , and then press ENTER to restart your computer.

This takes a bit longer, but the system should boot back into Windows.

Thanks for the info. My PC was one of those units that HP did not include recovery disks with. I have contacted them and purchased these and should have them in 2 days.

When i got bought a laptop, they didn't provide me with a recovery disc. I'm not sure if they're suppose to provide one, but you can make one yourself.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.