My laptop has Winxp home edition Os.
I realised that i had the brontok virus in my system so i scanned it with Kaspersky Antivirus. while scanning the Antivirus notified me that it would stop the process explorer.exe because it was infected. when i clicked OK my destop went blank save for the wallpaper. No desktop icons, no startmenu or taskbar. i restarted my computer but it seems to freeze on the desktop after rebooting. i thought about fomatting and reinstalling but i have programs in it that i dont want to lose.

What should i do???

Is there any way that i can get explorer.exe running again so i can use another antivirus to remove the virus?

Is their any way i can backup the programs on my Hard drive?

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Hi

On your keyboard... Press CTRL+ALT+Delete ... this should bring up the task manager. click on File then New Task ..... in the box that appears type explorer.exe and press enter....

let us know

Darrern

How did you know before scanning what infection you had or that you had an infection?

i did that but the task manager did not come on, i think its disabled as well

before scanning, when i opened up a folder there was an exe file with the name of the folder inside

Have you tried booting to Safe Mode?

I tried safe mode, logging on as administrator but still nothing happened, is there any way i can Backup my programs before formating the drive?

I tried safe mode, logging on as administrator but still nothing happened, is there any way i can Backup my programs before formating the drive?

I don't know of any if you cannot even boot to the drive. Sorry.

Take the HD out and connect it to another pc. Backup what you want and then scan them with an AV before reinstating them.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.