Please help
This is my first time here, so if I've done something wrong don't shot me. I have a virus in my computer and it has something to do with rundll32.exe. I tried to follow what someone else posted but I got lost and don't want to do anything on my own. So if there is someone who could help and give step by step instructions I would really appreciate it.
Thankyou
nicwat.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I don't think anyone here can help you. Just throw your computer away and buy a new one. :P j/k

Well, no one here can do much help if you don't post it more specificly.

1. Do you have an antivirus software installed? (IF yes, which one? eg: norton, mcafee, pc-cillin) / (IF no, skip to step 5)
2. Is your antivirus definitions up to date?
3. What is the name of the virus detected/found on your computer?
4. How did you know that your rundll32.exe file is infected?
5. Scan your pc online at http://housecall.trendmicro.com (Online antivirus scan, provides no real time protection)

If you manage to get rid of the virus either using Step 5 or your own way, please post it here and share your knowledge with others. :D

P/S: Remember, DO NOT quarantine your rundll32.exe. I did it once before, and my pc could not start up after i restarted it because rundll32.exe controls the booting of your pc. Stupid me. -.-"

Good luck.

Hello,

First, don't call yourself an idiot. There are a lot of smart people who infect themselves with viruses. As long as you are running Windoze, you are a high-risk viral canidate.

Moving the thread to the Virus forum

Christian

Moving the thread to the Virus forum

Thanks Christian.

Hi nicwat- wlecome to DaniWeb. :)

Please give us the information MichaelV asked for; the more specifics we have to work with, the faster we'll be able to help you get your system clean.

If you don't already have (and don't want to spend money to get) an anti-virus program like Norton/Symantec or McAfee), do the Trend Micro scan MichaelV mentioned, and also download this very good free anti-virus program called AVG from:

http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php

One thing you should know is that not all "nasties" that can infect your system are traditional viruses, and as such often cannot be detected and/or removed by tradtional anti-virus programs. If you cannot remove the infection(s) by following the suggestions we've given so far, please do this:

Download HijackThis:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html

Once downloaded:

1. Create a folder outside of any Temp/Temporary folders for the HJT download and move it there now. A folder such such as C:\HijackThis or C:\Spyware Tools\HijackThis will do.

2. The downloaded file is a compressed "Zip" file, which will need to be unzipped. If you are using Windows XP, right-click on the zip file and choose the Extract option from the resulting menu. This will start the Windows file-extraction wizard; just follow the wizard's prompts to unzip the actual hijackthis.exe program

2. Double-click on the hijackthis.exe file to run the program. Do not have HJT fix anything yet; only have it scan your system! Once the scan is complete, the "Scan" button will turn into an option to "Save log...". Save the log in the folder you created for HiajckThis, open the log in Windows Notepad, and cut-n-paste the entire contents of the log here. The log contents will tell us a lot about what "nasties" have crept into your system, and once we analyse the log we can tell you what to do from there.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.